Update April 19, 2018
Many individuals around the world are interested in doing graduate work in Peace and Conflict Resolution at the MA or Ph.D. level. This guide is for MA level programs. For Ph.D. programs see the resource guide There are several excellent existing guides to finding programs listed below (Please note that no guide provides complete up-to-date information on all programs, thus please feel free to suggest additional programs and also do your own research).
Before looking through the guides, readers are strongly encouraged to read carefully through the free report Graduate Education and Professional Practice in International Peace and Conflict (2010. by Nike Carstarphen, Craig Zelizer, Robert Harris and David J. Smith. Special Report 246. United States Institute of Peace:Washington, DC
The report provides a critical review of the opportunities and challenges in graduate programs and should be useful reading for students, faculty, employers and those considering starting programs.
RELEVANT GUIDES TO GRADUATE LEVEL PROGRAMS
1. The Peacemakers Trust in Canada has complied an excellent list of programs around the world see, http://www.peacemakers.ca/education/educationlinks.html
2.The Peace and Justice Studies Association publishes a guide to peace and conflict related programs at all levels.
3. David Smith has created a list of programs (undergrad and grad) in the field.
4. Idealist, a leading nonprofit career sites has developed the Public Service Graduate Education Resource Center (including on peace and conflict resolution). This is a terrific site that has key information for individuals seeking to pursue graduate programs related to social change. The resources includes tips for how to select a program, how to write an effective application, application procedures, identifying funding and more.
SCHOLARSHIPS/FUNDING FOR MA PROGRAMS
For more information on funding possibilities please consult the PCDN Scholarships Guide and/or directly contact the respective academic program.
KEY MA PROGRAMS IN PEACE AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION
Regarding MA programs in Conflict Resolution and Related Fields see some of the key programs below. Feel free to suggest additional programs and you’re encouraged to consult the resource guides listed above.
In Washington, DC area there are the following MA level programs:
- Master of Arts in Conflict Resolution Program, Georgetown University
- School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution, George Mason University
- International Peace and Conflict Resolution Program, American University
- Master of Arts in International Relations (with possible concentration in Global Security and Conflict Resolution), Online Program, American University
Other regions in the US
- Master of Science in Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Columbia University, New York
- Master of Arts degree in Conflict Analysis and Engagement, Antoich University, Ohio
- Master of Science in Conflict Management, Kennesaw State University, Georgia
- MA in Conflict Transformation, Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- International Peace and Conflict Resolution MA program at Arcadia University in Pennsylvania
- MA in Peace Studies, Notre Dame University, Indiana
- MA in Negotiation and Conflict Management, University of Baltimore, Maryland
- Master of Science in Conflict Analysis and Resolution, NOVA Southeastern University, Florida (also offers online and certificate programs)
- Master of Arts in Coexistence and Conflict, Brandies University, Massachusetts
- Master of Arts in Dispute Resolution, University of Massachusetts in Boston
- Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy, The Fletcher School, Tufts University, Massachusetts (includes the option to do a concentration in conflict resolution)
- Master of Arts in Peace and Conflict Studies, Rutgers University, New Jersey
- Masters Program in Conflict Studies and Dispute Resolution at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Master of Arts in Peace and Justice Studies University of San Diego, California
- MA in Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding, California State University, Dominguez Hills (offers an online program)
- The Master’s Program In Conflict and Dispute Resolution, University of Oregon
- The MA or MSC Program in Conflict Resolution, Portland State University, Oregon
- Masters in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution (offers campus-based and online version) at Creighton University in Nebraska.
- Master of Arts in Conflict Analysis and Dispute Resolution, Salisbury University, Maryland
- Master of Arts in Conflict Transformation – School for International Training, Vermont
- Master of Sustainable Peacebuilding, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Master of Arts in Dispute Resolution, Wayne State University, Michigan
- Master of Arts in Conflict Analysis and Engagement, Antioch University, Ohio
- Master of Arts in Conflict Resolution, University of Denver
- Master of Arts in Conflict Management and Resolution, University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- M.A. Program in Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Manitoba and University of Winnipeg (joint program)
- Master of Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Waterloo.
- Australian Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies at University of Queensland
- Center for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney
- Master in Mediation and Conflict ResolutionInternational Institute for Conflict Engagement & Resolution (IICER), Hong Kong Shue Yan University
- The National Centre for Peace And Conflict Studies, at the University of Otago, is New Zealand’s first Centre to combine global cross-disciplinary expertise on the issues of development, peacebuilding and conflict transformation. It offers postgraduate programs at the Masters and PhD level.
EUROPEAN NETWORK PROGRAMS
- European Master’s Degree in Human Rights and Democratisation-European Inter-University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation
- MA for Peace, Development, Security and International Conflict Tran… at the University of Innsbruck
- Master’s Programme Peace and Conflict Studies, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg
- M.Phil, International Peace Studies, Trinity College, Dublin
- MA in International Relations (concentration: International Peace and Conflict Studies, IPACS), Collegium Civitas, Warsaw
- MA program in Conflict Studies, Faculty of Media and Communications (FMK), Singidunum University
- Online MA in Conflictology, Open University of Catalonia, Barcelona
- International Master in Peace, Conflict and Development Studies, Universitat Jaume I (UJI), Castellón
- MA Program in Peace and Development Studies, Linnæus University, Sweden. The one-year program combines conflict analysis and development studies with a practical, methods-oriented approach. Students are taught in a multicultural classroom by experts with extensive practical experience abroad
- MA of Advanced Studies in Peace and Conflict Transformation, University of Basel
- MA in Expressive Arts, Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding European Graduate School
- MA in Conflict Resolution Analysis and Resolution, Sabanci University, Istanbul
- MA in Peace and Conflict Studies, Hacetteppe University, Istanbul
- M.Phil, Reconciliation Studies, Irish School of Ecumenics, Trinity College, Belfast
- LLM Human Rights Law and Transitional Justice, Transitional Justice Institute, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
- MSc Peace and Conflict Studies and MSc Peacebuilding and Human Rights INCORE, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
- MA Postgraduate Courses in Conflict Resolution, Peace Studies, Conflict, Security and Development (and related Fields), University of Bradford
- MA in Peacebuilding, University of Manchester
- MA in Peace Studies, Liverpool Hope University
- MA Peace and Development at Leeds Metropolitan University
- MA in Peacebuilding, MA in Reconciliation or Certificate Program, Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies(CPRS), Coventry University
- MA in Reconciliation and Peacebuilding, University of Winchester
- MA in Reconciliation, University of Winchester
- University of Peace – Offers 10 MA programs related to peace and conflict studies.
- Maestría en Políticas para la Prevención de la Violencia Juvenil en Cultura de Paz – Universidad Don Bosco
- Bar-Ilan University – the Conflict Management, Resolution and Negotiation Graduate Program (In Hebrew, MA and PhD).
- University of Haifa – International Interdisciplinary MA Program in Peace and Conflict Management Studies.
- University of Haifa- International MA Program in Diplomacy Studies
- Tel Aviv University – International Program in Conflict Resolution and Mediation