WITNESS is looking for a driven, passionate and skilled Communications Associate to support the organization’s efforts to engage human rights champions and existing, as well as potential, donors. You will assist in the development and execution of written and multimedia content for communication strategies including outreach via the web, social media, email, and events. You also will support media outreach, and monitoring and reporting on the performance of all the organization’s messaging efforts.
You have a journalist’s instincts for writing copy whether for a website update or a tweet and are equally comfortable creating on-brand gifs that distill key messages for donor and general audiences. You work well under tight deadlines and are detail-oriented in all your work, whether drafting an email newsletter or ensuring accurate record keeping in a CRM.
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to use video and technology to protect and defend their rights. We provide training, tools, and support to people around the world so that they can use video safely, ethically, and effectively to create positive change.
Draft, edit, publish content for:
- Institutional collateral such as: one pagers, success stories, template letters, annual reports, presentation decks, and talking points on active program projects and areas;
- Web copy including general updates, donation campaign and events landing pages, including for our annual gala;
- Blog posts;
- General audience and donor email newsletters;
- Online/mobile donor campaigns content such as #GivingTuesday, End of Year campaign, and other peer-to-peer fundraising efforts such as the TriBoro Bike Ride and NYC Marathon;
- Social media content for current projects, events and evergreen posts that promote other channels such as the email newsletter for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. Reciprocate engagement with new followers where appropriate.
- With direction and guidance, create, edit, and publish gifs, data visualizations, shareable graphics, and short videos to engage supporters and donors on social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) as well as for documents, reports, and presentations.
Administration and Support
- Build email blasts, maintain templates for accuracy of language and links, and ensure lists are current;
- Support the process of list segmentation for greater reach to donor/general audience;
- Ensure donor platforms such as Classy, GuideStar, and Global Giving carry current messaging, links;
- Generate timely reports of performance of emails newsletters and fundraising campaigns for analysis;
- Monitor and advise best times/dates for posting on social channels;
- SEO implementation for all online messaging;
- Metrics tracking and analysis;
- Monitor and record earned media coverage and research new press leads;
- Help coordinate master communications and social media calendars.
- Reports to Associate Director of Communications
- Works closely with External Relations Manager and Digital Program Coordinator
- External Relations Team
- Program Team
- Work experience: A minimum of 2-3 years related work experience in communications and or donor relations;
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, nonprofit management or similar, or equivalent work experience;
- Systems: Google Work Suite, Microsoft Office applications, solid experience using Adobe Creative Cloud applications especially Photoshop and or InDesign;
- Work habits: Exceptional organizational and communication skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and keep track of details and deadlines; a high level of attention to detail; with necessary direction in place, able to work effectively independently;
- Communication: Exceptional interpersonal communication and writing skills. Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues both in person and those who are remote, as well as external audiences.
- Organizational culture fit: A strong interest, background, and/or work experience in nonprofits, human rights, social justice, international relations, or video advocacy; demonstrated commitment to WITNESS’ values and mission.
- Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp, Salesforce, Slack, and/or Canva;
- Experience working with remote colleagues in different time zones;
- Additional language proficiency in Spanish, French, and/or Arabic a plus.
START DATE: Flexible
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
TITLE: Communications Associate
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits that include employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, accident, and disability insurance, FSA, 401k, transit, and a generous vacation package.
TO APPLY: To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Associate – [Your name]”.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications are encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. Thank you.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.