Website United Nations University
Visiting Senior Research Fellows
- Applications procedure
- Related Files
Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
- Consultant (CTC)
- REFERENCE NO.:
- Macau, Special Administrative Region of China
- UTC +7
- CLOSING DATE:
Organisational Unit: UNU Computing and Society (UNU-CS)
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate training, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the United Nations, its Peoples and Member States. It serves as a think tank for the United Nations system, contributes to capacity building — particularly in developing countries — as well as a platform for new and creative ideas and dialogue.
UNU Institute on Computing and Society mission
The United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS) is a research institute at the intersections of information and communication technology (ICTs) and sustainable development. UNU-CS conducts UN policy-relevant research and generates solutions, addressing key issues expressed in the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through high-impact innovations and frontier technologies. Through its research, UNU-CS encourages data-driven and evidence-based actions and policies to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
UNU-CS is situated in Macau Special Administrative Region (SAR), China, and it is the only UN entity in the city. The Pearl River Delta, which embraces Macau, Hong Kong, and Guangdong Province, is considered an emerging Silicon Valley due to its booming economy and technological innovations. The strategic location provides an exciting opportunity for researchers and experts to maximise impact of their work.
More information can be found at https://cs.unu.edu.
Senior Research Fellow programme
UNU-CS welcomes seasoned researchers to join us and co-create exciting research projects together. With this aim, we are establishing a Senior Research Fellow programme.
Senior Research Fellows will spend three (3) to six (6) months in residence at UNU-CS in Macau to explore research topics based on our common interest, independently or jointly with a UNU-CS host researcher. You will conduct high-quality research that can push new frontiers, deepen core research understanding, and/or offer new approaches to long-standing developmental issues in the field of ICTs and sustainable development. Your research outcomes will inform UN policymaking on the issues related to ICTs and sustainable development.
The goals of the programme are to:
- contribute to the ICTs and sustainable development research field
- address global development issues in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- engage academic partners within the UN policymaking process
- increase our combined research capacity, global reach, and impact
- keep UNU-CS research abreast of new and emerging scholarship on sustainable development
- foster an interdisciplinary intellectual community
The selected Senior Research Fellows will receive the following benefits:
- office space in our newly renovated office building, which is part of Macau’s rich cultural heritage
- free accommodation in UNU-CS’ staff apartment facility in the centre of Macau, a 15-minute walk from the office; you will not pay rent, but utilities only (continuous residency is preferred, but flexible residency can be considered exceptionally)
- economy travel to and from Macau on the first arrival and final departure
- stipend based on experience; competitive with local market rates
In the future, we will accept applications on a quarterly basis for review on 1 October 2019, 4 January 2020, 1 April 2020, and 1 July 2020, for expected starting dates of 4 January, 1 April, 1 July and 1 October 2020, respectively (see the table below):
Application Deadlines Application Review Dates Expected Starting Dates 30 September 2019 1 October 2019 4 January 2020 31 December 2019 4 January 2020 1 April 2020 30 March 2020 1 April 2020 1 July 2020 30 June 2020 1 July 2020 1 October 2020
Selected candidates may be invited for a (joint) presentation/interview to elaborate on the project proposal, as part of the selection process.
At the end of this fellowship programme, the Senior Research Fellows are expected jointly or independently to produce a research paper and a UN policy-relevant output.
Required qualifications and experiences
Required qualifications and experience include:
- holder of a PhD or equivalent degree
- holder of a faculty or senior research position at another institution
- have at least 10 years of academic research experience, with proven records and publications of academic excellence
- engaged in research relevant to UNU-CS research agendas
Required competencies include:
- flexibility and ability to work under deadlines
- creative solutions, and out-of-the-box thinking
- result driven.
- great team player with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. UN income is not subject to taxes in Macau.
Duration of contract
This is a resident position of three (3) to six (6) months on a Consultant Contract (CTC) with UNU-CS.
This is a contract position falling outside of the United Nations Common System. The successful candidate will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
3rd Quarter of 2019