Website Shortlist Professionals
Unlock professional potential
Acumen is looking for a Portfolio Manager to join their India team in Mumbai. They’re looking for someone with 7 – 10 years of investment banking, Venture Capital, private equity, or other investing experience and a proven commitment to tackling global poverty. The right candidate is bold, creative, and can excel in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
Please cite PCDNetwork as the source of the posting in your application.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. theyinvest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $113 million in 108 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. they are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world.
In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
About Acumen India
Acumen’s commitment to India began in 2002 when they deployed capital to Aravind Eye Care Systems and then consequently set up their India office in 2006.The Acumen India team is responsible for finding, vetting, and managing investments, and helping scale chosen game-changing social enterprises that serve the poor in their portfolio sectors: Healthcare, Education, Agriculture and Energy.
About the Role – Portfolio Manager
The Portfolio Manager will evaluate new investment opportunities, conduct due diligence on high potential opportunities as they arise, and structure deal terms as well as manage their existing portfolio. You will use your finance and investing skills to evaluate the growth and return potential of social enterprises from both a financial and social impact perspective. You are expected to bring in high quality Portfolio Management skills to support and guide the Portfolio companies. In particular, you will focus on supporting portfolio companies with governance, Strategic finance and impact. You will also develop insights to support strategic decisions including creating new investment options, and pausing investments if need be. You will also prepare analysis for presentation to Acumen’s Investment Committee.
This position is expected to be highly entrepreneurial and preferred candidates will be excited by and thrive in a start-up environment. The Portfolio Manager will report to India Country Director and manage a team of 2-3 Associates / Senior Associates.
- Identifying, cultivating, and reviewing a pipeline of fresh investment opportunities providing critical services to the poor in India.
- Conducting thorough due diligence and investment analysis, including financial modeling, valuation review and structuring.
- Preparing, presenting, and maintaining detailed and compelling investment documentation for Acumen’s Investment Committee and Board of Directors.
- Assessing portfolio company needs related to post investment support; designing and implementing post-investment management interventions.
- Identify, manage and analyze the collection of key performance metrics on a timely basis
- Creating and executing of First 100 day plans to understand near-term value creation opportunities
- Delivering appropriate strategic and tactical advice and support to help portfolio companies achieve business plan objectives.
- Designing and evaluating key metrics to measure the social and financial returns on investments.
- Developing long-term relationships with external stakeholders including funders, advisors, thought leaders, sector and functional experts to provide support across the portfolio.
- Analyzing metrics data to identify patterns, and channeling that data to outputs for marketing and fundraising efforts.
- Overseeing portfolio data systems to ensure accurate data on pipeline and portfolio under-management.
Qualifications & Characteristics
- 7-10 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, consulting or investment management;
- Proven track record of successful portfolio management of companies supporting their trajectory and exits from companies
- Experience with financial and operational due diligence of early stage businesses
- Superior financial, modeling and business analysis skills; demonstrated by prior experience.
- Familiarity with the social enterprise and impact investing sectors; demonstrated commitment to serving the poor is preferred.
- Strong ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results in conditions of uncertainty.
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure.
- Track record of mentoring and managing junior team members.
- Authorization to work in India on a permanent basis.
Additional characteristics They’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for their core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- A sense of humor (really)