Website Pulizter Center
Employment Opportunity: Senior Editor
We’ve come a long way—building a talented staff, supporting hundreds of journalists, forging partnerships with strong news-media organizations and with educational institutions across the globe.
We are now seeking to expand our editorial team by adding an experienced, creative, and high-energy Senior Editor to help handle day-to-day editorial responsibilities for a non-profit news organization that is now recognized as one of the most dynamic and productive providers of international reportage in the United States.
The role entails working collaboratively with the Pulitzer Center’s leadership team to help shape the center’s editorial mission. It also involves working with a diverse roster of outside journalists (both freelancers and staffers on major publications) and editors at a wide range of U.S. and international media outlets to identify, cultivate and steward major reporting projects.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for raising awareness of critical global issues through journalism and education—and who has the energy and experience to help us achieve our goals. You will have the opportunity to work with some of the world’s most talented journalists and educators, and a deeply committed, hardworking, and high-spirited team.
We believe public-interest journalism is a public good. We invite you to help us generate international reporting projects that will advance a deeper more nuanced understanding of the world around us—helping inform the public, policy-makers, and the next generation, on the defining challenges of our time.
For more information about the Pulitzer Center, visit pulitzercenter.org.
The responsibilities of the Senior Editor will include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing grant applications from journalists to identify the most promising project proposals; formalizing the terms and conditions of all grants offered to journalists.
- Working with journalists/grantees as a supervising editor to assure timely and successful completion of projects.
- Coordinating with journalists/grantees and editors of external news outlets to assure successful placement of reporting projects.
- Writing a weekly newsletter that highlights the Pulitzer Center’s reporting projects.
- Developing contacts with journalists and editors to help increase the diversity of the Pulitzer Center’s reporting projects and expand the range of outlets in which the work appears.
- Participation in our Campus Consortium and other educational outreach programs that bring our journalists and their work to the Pulitzer Center’s network of more than 30 colleges and universities.
- Reviewing published reporting projects before they are posted on our website.
- Providing guidance, advice and editing help to junior staffers interested in pursuing their own journalistic projects.
Education Background, Skills and Work Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Fifteen or more years of professional journalism experience that includes a substantial international component.
- A familiarity with both traditional and new media platforms, particularly in the emerging digital realm.
- A passion for global issues and a commitment to the Pulitzer Center’s mission.
- A high level of integrity and a strong work ethic.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- The ability to motivate and work effectively with freelance journalists and editors of external publications, as well as exemplary communication, writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities without compromising quality.
- The ability to serve as a strategic thinker and leader, capable of providing positive and proactive solutions to challenges and opportunities.
- The ability to work independently and to have an open and collaborative management style, characteristic of a team player.
- Creativity and analytical skills.
- Compensation for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, the Pulitzer Center offers a comprehensive benefits package.
- The Pulitzer Center is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to forward diversity through its programs and hiring.
Please e-mail your application to jobs(at)pulitzercenter.org by April 21, 2017 and write ‘Senior Editor’ in the e-mail subject line.
Applications should include a detailed CV, names and contact info for three references, three samples or your work, and a written statement of interest (no more than 500 words). Your written statement should link your passions and experience to this opportunity and how you think that experience can help advance the Pulitzer Center’s mission.
Job Title: Senior Editor
Status: Full Time
Start Date: June 2017