Website International Crisis Group
Senior Analyst, Colombia
Senior Analyst, Colombia
Purpose of the role:
Based in our Bogotá office with regular field travel, the Senior Analyst will undertake research and draft reports and other forms of shorter publications which examine and propose solutions to prevent or mitigate deadly conflict in Colombia, including consideration of security, political, legal, governance, human rights and social issues.
- Conducts extensive field research into prevailing issues in Colombia, including – where relevant – consideration of security, political, legal, economic and social issues as well as human rights, gender and governance;
- Provides written analyses – in clear and concise fashion – of the risks and origins of deadly conflict in the region in the form of detailed reports and briefing papers for publication as well as shorter derivatives (such as short videos, social media postings, commentaries and op-eds);
- Proposes policy recommendations and initiatives for conflict actors including political, civil society and other stakeholders at the national as well as regional and international levels aimed at preventing, mitigating or resolving conflict;
- Advocates Crisis Group policy positions and recommendations regarding conflict and represents Crisis Group at events and in the media – locally, nationally and internationally as appropriate;
- Provide support to the Program Director for Crisis Group activities, fundraising and advocacy in the region and globally;
- As required, supervise consultants, stringers and/or interns.
- Post-graduate qualification in international relations, political science, social sciences or other relevant field of academic study;
- At least seven years of professional experience in the field of conflict research, analysis and prevention, working in government, academia, international organisations, non-governmental organisations or the media;
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills in English; fluency in Spanish required;
- Strong research and analytical skills, and proven experience of formulating persuasive policy recommendations;
- Extensive knowledge of Colombia’s security and public policy issues, and experience of living and working in the region;
- A network of governmental and non-governmental, official, media and civil society contacts in the region;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including public presentation skills;
- Experience of working successfully within a team as well as the ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
Please apply before 29 June 2019.