Website Search for Common Ground
Search for Common Ground is seeking an intern with skills in program coordination, business development, and monitoring and evaluation. The Program Intern will report to the founders of B4H. The intern will assist in mobilizing our community of supporters and coordinating closely with the Creative Team behind Battle for Humanity, Search for Common Ground’s global partners, and field offices across continents. Through hands-on training, the Program Intern will hone skills that can be broadly applied to the nonprofit and tech sectors in general. The scope of the internship will be tailored to the intern’s strengths and experience. This is an unpaid internship with the option of earning college credit. The intern will be based in Washington, DC; Philadelphia; or Southern Oregon, with the option of working remotely elsewhere.
As Battle for Humanity Program Intern, you will be an invaluable member of our team. Your ideas will be valued, and your voice will hold equal weight. You will help us shape something we hope transforms the world as we know it.
Battle for Humanity, (B4H) is a social movement and game that turns virtual interaction into real world action. Users choose missions that fight destructive conflict in real life and become bonafide heroes in their communities.
B4H is an initiative of Search for Common Ground, the world’s largest dedicated peacebuilding organization. Withheadquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, we implement projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. You will be joining a community highly motivated and inspiring Searchers who have dedicated their lives to making a better world for all.
We’re looking for hard-working, dedicated young people who live outside the box. Who are ready to embark on a new adventure into uncharted territory. Who believe technology has the power not just to connect us, but to ignite the inner hero in all of us.
In building Battle for Humanity, we’re gamifying doing good. Have you ever been struck by something in the news – a terrorist attack or tragic image of a refugee – and wondered, “What can I do to help? What will actually make a difference?” The Battle for Humanity mobile app gives you just that: concrete tasks you can do and share to spark a better world, where we fight for the dignity of every human being.
Roles and responsibilities include:
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Researching startup issues, such as trademarks, domain names, and more
- Monitoring users’ online activities – quantitative and qualitative – to help determine the relevance, resonance, and efficacy of planned program activities
- Researching potential funders and writing or editing proposals
- Assisting with mission design during Battle for Humanity’s pre-launch phase
- Engaging supporters and potential users via social media and email blasts
- Providing administrative assistance to the leadership of B4H, including coordinating our partners, Advisory Council, and Steering Committee
- Contributing to the creative process behind Battle for Humanity
As internship descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
You meet the following qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Extraordinary detail orientation
- Passion for mobilizing youth as leaders in peace
- Great initiative and ability to self-motivate
- Significant intercultural experience and understanding
- High emotional intelligence; proven relationship-builder
- Passionate for Search for Common Ground’s mission to end violent conflict
- Creative; artistic; knowledgeable of trending styles
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation
- Skilled researcher
- Proposal-writing experience
- Program coordination experience
- Familiarity with web and mobile applications development and social media integration
- Familiarity with WordPress and SquareSpace
- Experience with browser-based email blast services (ex: Constant Contact, Salsa, etc.)
This is an unpaid internship
This position will close on September 25, 2018.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover letter
- hours available each week
Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
Search for Common Ground is the world’s largest dedicated peacebuilding organization with offices in over 30 countries, 600+ staff, and hundreds more volunteers working to transform how societies deal with conflict – away from adversarial approaches toward collaborative problem-solving. For more than 35 years, we have been working to prevent and end violent conflict before, during, and after crises. Our work fosters the transition of communities and countries toward peace and stability, so all other aspects of human development can thrive. We envision a world in which conflict serves as a source for cooperation and creative problem-solving rather than a source for polarization and violence. We tackle myriad issues that drive violent conflict, including Refugee and Internal Displacement Issues, Sexual and Gender-based Violence, and Violent Extremism. We also work with key stakeholders on the ground to influence factors that reduce tension such as Interfaith Cooperation, Fair and Responsible Media, and Governance, Democracy and Elections.