Website Wasafiri Consulting
Wasafiri is a fast growing, values-led consultancy business.
WHO WE ARE
Wasafiri is a fast growing, values-led consultancy business, committed to navigating complex change. Established in 2010 by a group of Australian, British, Zambian and Rwandan development professionals, we are driven by the opportunity to contribute to Africa’s future. We help people and organisations generate concerted action to reshape the political, economic or social systems that enable or constrain them. Our work lies in helping businesses, governments and institutions tackle complex problems in these systems by;
- Strengthening governance;
- Building effective markets, and;
- Forging stronger, more secure communities.
We are specialists in working in complex environments, and our services form vital components of longer change processes. We act as trusted advisers, facilitators and managers in roles spanning single interventions or multi-year partnerships, providing strategy, advisory, research and project management related services in the areas below;
- Generating intelligence;
- Building commitment;
- Establishing direction;
- Enabling delivery.
We operate from offices in the UK, Rwanda and Kenya and are currently delivering work in over 10 countries, with clients from across the public and private sectors. The people of Wasafiri are brought together for their adventurous spirit, understanding of complex problems and track record of delivering change. We share a relentless optimism for Africa’s future, a hunger to move from dialogue to action, and a desire for excellence.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Wasafiri is bidding as part of a consortium for the Building Resilience in Civil Society (BRICS) Phase II program, a Preventing Violent Extremism (PVE) project funded by the UK’s East Africa Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF). Wasafiri will be responsible for the integrated research and learning component of this program if awarded the contract. As such we are in search of a brilliant and professional Research, Evaluation and Learning Manager (RELM) who will lead on the collaborative design and delivery of large-scale research studies in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, be responsible for the real-time evaluation of project activities and ensure that research and evaluation translates into programmatic learning. The RELM will be part of the project senior management team and will play a key role in strategic design and implementation.
The BRICS II RELM will lead on: 1) all aspects of the research design, methodology, analysis and report production to ensure that our research products meet the highest quality standards, are methodologically rigorous and most importantly, are useful tools in support of adaptive and flexible project design and management, with the support of research advisors, field managers and field researchers; 2) programmatic monitoring and evaluation, trend and context analyses and reporting against the BRICS II results framework; and 3) design and delivery of a learning strategy, to ensure that research and evaluation are fully integrated into an adaptive implementation framework.
The RELM will be based in Nairobi with some travel within Kenya and to Uganda and Tanzania. S/he will be full-time, reporting directly to the Team Leader and supervising the research manager, the M&E officer, the communications officer and a pool of advisory consultants.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the design and delivery of BRICS II research tasks:
The RELM will be responsible for the strategic design of all research products. Research will include both discreet studies to dig into topics of interest to the program, to the donor community and to host governments and communities as well as continuous research on what types of interventions are working, what is posing challenges and how to scale up successful interventions. Research products will serve first as tools for evidenced-based decision-making and adaptive program design and management and second as research products useable for a wider audience (to include CSSF East Africa, the British High Commissions in East Africa, other international and local PVE actors, host governments and communities, academia, etc.). The RELM will be supported by a team of technical research advisors, field managers and field researchers to lead on the following:
- Scopes of work and research designs
- Qualitative and quantitative research tools and frameworks
- The development of polished, robust final research products that will inform the program and a wider audience as referenced above.
- The REML will be asked to present research findings in various forums.
- Overseeing the BRICS II M&E:
The RELM will be responsible for the BRICS II results framework (RF). S/he will help design the RF in collaboration with the Team Leader and other team members during the inception phase and will then supervise the M&E officer in the data collection and analysis. The RELM will be responsible for periodic reporting against the RF at the indicator, output and outcome levels and will lead the senior management team on strategic revisions to the RF and Theory of Change (ToC) based on programmatic evidence gathered by the M&E and Research teams.
- Leading the design and delivery of a learning strategy:
The RELM will be responsible for developing and delivering a learning strategy to ensure that learning is systematized across BRICS II. Feedback mechanisms will be established to ensure that research and M&E inform design and that evidence drives design-making and adaptation.
- Leading the design and delivery of a research dissemination and communications strategy:
The RELM will be responsible for developing and delivering a dissemination and communications strategy to ensure that research and learning are fed back to a multitude of audiences, to include the CSSF East Africa, the British High Commissions in East Africa, other international and local PVE actors, host governments and communities, academia, etc.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The ideal candidate will have:
- Outstanding research experience – The candidate will have a postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline and at least five years’ experience in overseeing practicable, actionable research. The candidate should have experience in a range of relevant research methods, design processes and should be confident in rigorous analysis of qualitative data and production of high quality research products.
- Experience in collaborative research processes – Wasafiri adopts a collaborative approach to research design, analysis and reporting. The candidate will be adept at leading collaborative design and analysis workshops and working as part of a team with a willingness to explore new approaches and ideas.
- A background in conflict-affected and fragile environments – The ideal candidate will have experience and comfort working within countries, regions or areas affected by conflict, insecurity, violence or instability. A firm understanding of the political, security and economic context of East Africa and experience in working in Kenya is highly desirable but not required.
- A background in the design and/or management of conflict-related programmes – Wasafiri prides itself on producing practical, actionable research. The RELM will be firmly integrated into the implementation team and will provide strategic direction to BRICS II on the refinement and adaptation of interventions based on evidential learning. As such, the ideal candidate will have experience in the design and/or management of development programmes in a related field.
- Excellent communication, report writing, and presentation skills – The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a clear and concise writing style and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A background in M&E – The ideal candidate will have a firm understanding of the development of a results framework and innovative approaches to measuring complex outputs and outcomes, both qualitatively and quantitatively.
Compensation & Benefits
The position comes with an attractive compensation package based on skills and experience. Further details available for second round applicants.
The final employment offer is contingent upon funding of the BRICS II program.
Submission: To apply for the post, please send your CV and application form to Wasafiri’s Conflict Portfolio Lead, Georgia Gilroy at email@example.com. Please indicate clearly in the subject line Application for Research, Evaluation and Learning Manager. Feel free to get in touch if you require more information about the role.
Only submissions with completed application forms will be accepted. Please note that a separate cover letter is not needed.
Closing date for applications: September 19, 2018. We will be reviewing applications as they arrive and will appoint once a suitable candidate is identified. Late applications may be considered.