Website Protection International
Protection International (PI) is recruiting a Regional Director for PI Mesoamérica
Terms of reference available in English.
Start date: October 2019
Position: Regional Director for Mesoamérica
Location: Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
Duration: Fixed term one year contract, renewable
Application deadline: July 31st, 2019
Protection International (PI) is recruiting a Regional Director for its Mesoamerican Hub located in Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala. The Regional Director will be based in Ciudad de Guatemala and work across the Mesoamerican region.
Under its 2019-23 Global Strategy PI will decentralize its decision making processes and transform in a networks of Regional Protection Hubs. Each regional presence will be led by a Regional Director who will work under the direct supervision of a Regional Board of Directors.
The Mesoamerica Regional Director will represent PI in the region and foster PI’s work overseeing the sound implementation of projects, campaigns, and other initiatives by PI’s teams in Mesoamerica and in line with PI’s Global Strategy. The Mesoamerica Regional Director will work in close collaboration with PI’s Global Team and functionally report to PI’s Executive Director.
- Analyze the political context in the region and its impact on the work of defenders, identifying new trends and areas of intervention;
- Lead the development of PI Regional Hub in line with PI’s Global Strategy 2019-23 and in close collaboration with PI’s Executive Director; including supporting the conformation of the General Assembly and Board of Directors for PI Mesoamerica in accordance with Guatemalan law;
- Legal representation in Guatemala and ensure legal and administrative compliance of the Mesoamerica’s regional hub;
- Legalize delegations with representatives of Protection International Mesoamerica in Honduras and other countries of the region if necessary.
- Plan and coordinate PI’s Regional Hub by developing sound regional strategies for PI’s support to human rights defenders which take into account other desks, and initiatives implemented in the Region;
- Represent PI in national and international fora, productively engaging with relevant stakeholders;
- Ensure consistency between PI’s Global advocacy strategy and communication initiatives developed at the regional and national level;
- Develop and maintain sound working relations with partners and donors in the region;
- In coordination with PI Global team ensure consistency and sustainability of funding streams and fundraising strategies across the organization;
- Oversee the sound administration of PI’s delegations in the region and manage human resources in close collaboration with the PI Mesoamerica Board;
- Ensure sound financial management of the Regional Hub by contributing directly to PI’s annual global budget planning and its revisions;
- Contribute to PI Global learning and knowledge sharing across the organization
- Coordinate with other PI Regional Directors and Management Team;
- Oversee sound information and security management for PI staff in the region.
Required qualifications and experience:
- Relevant academic background (international law, political sciences, sociology, among others);
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a similar position or as an Executive Director of a national NGO;
- Sound experience and a proven record of accomplishment in managing people and projects at regional level;
- Extensive experience working with human rights defenders and in close collaboration with civil society.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Commitment to PI’s mission and to the work of human rights defenders;
- Excellent knowledge of the international human rights system as well as of international, regional and national mechanisms for the protection of human rights defenders;
- A proven ability to plan strategically;
- Entrepreneurship and ability to work in a flexible environment;
- Alliance builder;
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to influence others;
- Capacity to motivate colleagues and to assume leadership;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural team with respect for diversity;
- Fluency and excellent written skills in English and Spanish are required. French is a strong asset;
- Ability to travel in the Region and overseas;
- Computer literacy and interest in digital security and IT/communication tools.
One year contract on successful completion of a 3 month probation period, governed by Guatemalan law. Competitive benefits and gross monthly salary in line with the sector,
commensurate with skills and experience.
The position is based in Ciudad de Guatemala with frequent travel abroad.
- Send your resume and motivation letter (English only) before July 31st, 2019 to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning “ Mesoamerica Regional Director” in the subject line.
- Include your name in the file name of your application documents, e.g. Lucia_Fernandez_CV.doc.
- Submit names and contact details of three references together with your application.
- Do not attach any certificates or references at this stage of the recruitment process.
Please note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and applications will be received on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
PI promotes gender equality and strongly encourages women to apply.