Website Global Fund for Women
Program Officer, Adolescent Girls’ Rights
Programs – San Francisco, California
Global Fund for Women’s vision is a world where every woman and girl is strong safe, powerful, and heard. No exceptions. We are a global champion for the rights of women and girls, using grantmaking and advocacy to propel global movements for women’s rights. We seek a strategic and innovative Program Officer to promote the sustainable and intersectional embedment of the needs and priorities of adolescent girls – cis, transgender and gender non-conforming – into our work.
The Program Officer, Adolescent Girls’ Rights focuses on strengthening Global Fund for Women’s commitment to advancing adolescent girls’ rights and ensuring that we center adolescent girls’ leadership and realities across our work. The Program Officer will work under the guidance of the Program Director, Adolescent Girls and with other members of the Programs and other teams to resource girl-led and girl-centered organizations, with a focus on girls’ agency, power, critical consciousness, and leadership. They will also play a key role in strengthening Global Fund for Women’s girl centered programing by bringing girls into Global Fund for Women decision-making processes. This will include, but not be limited to, supporting the establishment of a girl advisory council and launching a pilot on participatory grantmaking.
This is a full-time two-year, term-limited position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Grantmaking and Movement Strengthening
• Support grantmaking to girl-led and girl-centered grassroots organizations
• Manage portfolio of grantee partners: identify new potential grantee-partners, review and analyze profiles, proposals and reports
• Conduct grantee-partner visits and convenings, support networking, and capacity building
• Build Global Fund for Women’s ability to do girl-centered programming, including:
• Help shape, launch, and manage a Girls Advisory Council
• Support the development and pilot of participatory grantmaking model
• Assess and make recommendations for further integrating girls in our grantmaking, operations, and governance
• Support the co-development on the Adolescent Girls’ Rights Program Strategy with the Girl Advisory Council
• Launch and support funding initiatives, as identified by the Girls Advisory Council
• Ensure close collaboration, alignment and integration with the Sexual & Reproductive Health and Rights, Economic Justice, and Freedom from Violence teams
• Together with the PD, ensure that Adolescent Girls’ Rights are centered in our resource mobilization, communications, learning, impact and effectiveness priorities
• Amplify grantee partner stories in our reporting, communications, and campaign efforts
• Play an active role in program meetings and in team planning
• Regularly attend key partner meetings and represent Global Fund for Women in key forums
• Attend and participate in annual convening with others in funding cohort as needed
• Participate in occasional cross-functional work teams and projects, in negotiation with supervisor
• Ensure compliance with Global Fund for Women’s policies and procedures
Internal: Daily working relationships with Programs Team colleagues, and with Impact and Effectiveness staff.
External: Relationships with grantee partners, advisors, young feminist/women’s movements, and NoVo Foundation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Passionate about adolescent girls’ rights and committed to support their agency and voice, leadership, activism
• We think qualified candidates will have at least 2 years of girl or young women-led activism and at least 2 years of grantmaking experience
• Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience
• Strong interpersonal and inter-cultural skills and the ability to interact with individuals from different background and across various time zones
• Experience in working in a diverse, team-oriented, and fast-paced environment
• Verbal and written fluency in English and at least one of Global Fund for Women’s operating languages (Arabic, French, Russian and Spanish; Arabic and/or Russian preferred)
• Experience in program/project management
• Excellent communications skills
• Ability to work on multiple tasks, work under pressure, meet deadlines
• Knowledge of Salesforce database
• Knowledge of innovative forms of organizing and movement-strengthening
• Previous living, working or studying experience in the global south or east
• Candidates under 30 are strongly encouraged to apply
The Global Fund for Women is an equal opportunity employer. We value and enthusiastically encourage applications from people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals, LGBQI, trans and gender non-conforming people and people with disabilities. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.