Website Amani Institute
Developing professionals who create social impact
Responding to the widely perceived gap between university education and the employment marketplace, Amani Institute’s mission is to prepare a new generation of leaders creating careers and lives of meaning and impact. We do this by developing new models of education and training that enable participants to develop the practical skills and networks for long-term career success.
Our core methodology comes to life in our award-winning Certificate in Social Innovation Management, which runs concurrently in both Kenya and Brazil, and which has so far enrolled 225 Fellows from 40+ countries in every continent. The program has been featured in Fast Company, Forbes, The Stanford Social Innovation Review, CNBC Africa, Vanity Fair, and The Huffington Post among other publications.
Amani Institute also develops customized training programs for foundations, universities, NGOs, and companies. Our 40+ clients to-date have included the US government’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), UNICEF, Vodafone, Ashoka, Georgetown University, Oxfam GB, CARE, and HIVOS.
Amani Institute was founded in 2011. Today we have “campuses” in Nairobi, Kenya and Sao Paulo, Brazil, and a staff with deep prior experience in the business, education, and social sectors. In addition, we are fortunate to be advised and supported by a faculty roster of over 30 global professionals at the top of their industries, including a Nobel Peace laureate, experts in leadership development from McKinsey & Company, a major documentary producer, a leading foundation director, and many others.
Through developing individuals who have the knowledge, practical skills, vision, courage, and networks to take on major challenges, our larger goal is to build much-needed capacity in organizations addressing social problems, thus enabling more effective operations across the entire field.
Description of Position
It is a joy to work on helping other people to build meaningful careers and lives. After successful launches in Nairobi, Kenya (2013) and Sao Paulo, Brazil (2015) Amani Institute is looking forward to launch in Bangalore, India later in 2017. As Nairobi plays the role of a hub office for the Africa region and Sao Paulo for Latin America, we envision that Bangalore will play a similar role for Asia.
Amani Institute is seeking a passionate, committed, and entrepreneurial changemaker to join our growing team and support the expansion to India.
Communications and Awareness Building (~60% of time)
- Support the Global Communications Director in managing Amani’s social media and other communications efforts in India, particularly using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and the Amani website.
- Take photographs of Amani’s programs to document our work visually
- Organize networking and learning events to build Amani’s brand in India
- Meet with prospective Amani Fellows and answer their questions about the program in India
- Attend networking and other events in order to represent Amani Institute and build different types of strategic partnerships with other organizations
Program Administration and Management (~40% of time)
- Support other team members in managing Amani programs, in particular Fellow recruitment, program logistics, field trips, and specific events or projects.
- Support the delivery of workshops and programs
- Support the logistics of setting up Amani’s office in India
- Support the maintenance of program records and databases, and conduct simple data analysis.
- Work in a closely-knit, fast-growing, entrepreneurial, diverse, global team. As Amani Institute will be in a start-up mode in India, all members of the team are expected to do what it takes to complete projects and achieve goals, which often translates into long hours of intense work. This position is for someone who wants to work hard to grow professionally with us and quickly take on more responsibilities.
Professional Background and Skills
- Undergraduate degree (any field)
- Passion for making social impact
- At least 3-5 years of previous work experience, including some experience in the social sector and ideally also in the private sector
- Evidence of being a doer – high degree of performance and self-accountability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, with high degree of empathy
- Ability to pay close attention to the details that make the difference between doing a good job and doing a great one
- Ability to not just multi-task, but even enjoy working on many different projects at once
- Proven ability to manage projects from beginning to end – from project conception to implementation
- Experience with using social media platforms for professional purposes
- Experience with leading and organizing events
- Comfort with communicating and collaborating virtually across global teams
(Although not required in order to apply, possessing any of these characteristics will be an advantage)
- International experience outside of India, for work and/or study
- IT skills: Good knowledge of MS Office (especially Word, Excel, and Powerpoint), virtual communication systems (Skype, Zoom, Whatsapp, etc), common cloud software (Dropbox, CRM systems, Google Drive, etc)
You would be a good fit with our organizational culture if:
- You have a passion for helping individuals achieve their full potential
- You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is “your responsibility” or not
- You are curious and enthusiastic to keep learning new skills throughout your life
- You love working with people from very different backgrounds, as that can lead to new ideas, fun experiences, and opportunities for growth
- You are comfortable bringing your whole self to work
- The position is based in Bangalore, India and we are primarily looking for an Indian citizen or a foreign resident with the right to work in India
- Travel within India is necessary and international travel is likely
- Occasional weekend work is required, as some classes happen on Saturdays and Sundays
- This position reports to the CEO of Amani Institute
- Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience and skills, aligned with the broader social enterprise sector in India
- This is a full-time position, with a minimum expectation of 2 years with the initial contract (after an initial trial period), and great room for professional growth and development
Application deadline: June 15, 2017
Expected Start Date: Flexible, depending on candidate situation but no later than September 15, 2017
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis so please send your application as soon as possible!