Website University of Denver
Post-Doctoral Fellow, One Earth Future – Sié Chéou-Kang Center for International Security and Diplomacy
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
- The Sié Chéou-Kang Center for International Security and Diplomacy at the University of Denver’s Josef Korbel School of International Studies, and the One Earth Future (OEF) are seeking qualified candidates for a new, innovative post-doctoral scholar program. The goal of this position is to contribute to the mission of both organizations through collaborative research on policy-relevant questions. Additionally, this position will serve as a bridge between the two Denver-based organizations and will have the opportunity to develop an OEF/Sié Center collaborative project. We will accept applications from candidates who specialize in global peace and security (broadly construed) and/or transnational governance but are particularly interested in those doing policy-relevant research on actions by non-state actors and their effects on violence, peacebuilding, and governance. The fellowship will begin September 1, 2018 and will extend for a one-year term, with the individual’s time spent at both OEF and the Sié Center.
The Sié Center is a center of excellence within the Josef Korbel School that leads research, education and policy programs focused on global peace and security. Eight faculty, visiting and post-doctoral scholars, and over 40 Korbel MA and PhD students contribute to the Center’s activities. While at the Sié Center, post-doctoral fellows have opportunities to work with Center faculty and graduate students, engage with relevant policy practitioners, and receive clerical and research/travel support sufficient to allow the completion of a major research product. Fellows will be expected to attend and contribute to a seminar series and engage with other program initiatives including conferences, commentary, and publications.
One Earth Future is a self-funded, private operating foundation seeking to create a more peaceful world through collaborative, data-driven initiatives that eliminate root causes of political conflict. Specific issue areas include enhancing maritime cooperation, creating sustainable jobs in fragile economies, improving natural resource governance, and research actively contributing to thought leadership on global issues. OEF Research is One Earth Future’s think tank focused on global peace and security. OEF Research conducts empirical research on the predictors of peace and on the role of good governance in building and sustaining peace and shares that research with scholars, policymakers and all interested in a more peaceful world through published reports, discussion papers, and educational forums.
The fellowship carries an annual stipend of $50,000 and access to additional funding for research support, professional development, and travel, and a comprehensive benefits package. for administrative purposes, the selected candidate will be an employee of the University of Denver.
- Conduct independent and collaborative research, with a focus on policy-relevant empirical research.
- With organizational partners, develop a joint OEF/Sié Center collaborative project (workshop or other sets of activities that will increase cooperation between the organizations and promote joint interests).
- Work with Sié faculty and OEF staff on research projects as consistent with his/her interests and expertise.
- Participate in events and workshops hosted by OEF and the Sié Center.
- Present research findings to interdisciplinary academic and audiences.
- Substantial progress toward a Ph.D. in Political Science or other relevant discipline. Applicants should complete all requirements for their Ph.D. by June 30, 2018.
- Policy-relevant research agenda related to the Organizations’ programs.
- Applicants should be no more than 3 years from the awarding of their degree (i.e., September 2014).
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 6:00 p.m. (MST) on December 15, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.