Website Equal Justice Works
ABOUT EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS:
The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice. Equal Justice Works is a recognized leader in the public interest law movement. Please go to www.equaljusticeworks.org to learn more about Equal Justice Works.
Equal Justice Works provides a continuum of opportunity that begins with incoming law school students and extends into later careers in the profession. From advocating for law school programs that instill public service values among students, to creating summer and postgraduate public interest jobs, to addressing the staggering educational debt that blocks lawyers from going into public service, Equal Justice Works inspires and provides opportunities for the legal community to change lives, make careers, and deliver on the promise of justice for all.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Portfolio Manager is responsible for managing relationships with current and prospective donors on the East Coast, including law firms, general counsels, and others, and running the Fellowship program in the assigned region. Each portfolio is constructed around specific geographic areas, and Portfolio Managers have significant fundraising and program responsibilities in the assigned cities and regions. The position requires significant travel, at least 2-3 trips per month. The balance of responsibilities for this position is approximately 60% programmatic and 40% fundraising. This position reports to the Director of Fellowships.
- Expand Equal Justice Works’ fundraising base on the East Coast by recruiting and supporting an assigned group of current and prospective donors.
- Create and implement a plan for renewing each Fellowship in his/her region in a given year. Develop creative co-sponsorship arrangements as needed to secure Fellowship renewals.
- Steward and retain his/her existing sponsors by managing the Fellow selection process for sponsors in his/her portfolio and monitoring the performance of his/her Fellows.
- Gain a clear understanding of sponsor’s expectations at the beginning of each Fellowship and oversee performance of Fellows to ensure sponsor satisfaction. Ensure Fellow has sufficient interaction with sponsors, including pro bono engagement, to ensure high satisfaction.
- Support individual Fellows in portfolio by serving as staff contact for all sponsor-related inquiries. Support Fellowship class as a whole by participating in Leadership Development Training, other trainings as necessary, and other inter-unit collaborations.
- Assist with Fellow presentations; prepare written reports and alumni booklets per sponsor requests, and support management and others engaged in sponsor renewal.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit new donors, including sponsors and individual donors; steward donors, including individuals in portfolio region; solicit gifts from existing donors; and solicit Dinner sponsorships and recruit general counsels from existing constituents to serve on the Steering Committee. Work with Executive Director and Institutional Advancement unit to support stewardship of donors.
- Work with Board members, alumni, current sponsors, and research to identify prospects new to Equal Justice Works. Support management and others engaged in donor and sponsor recruitment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- JD degree required.
- Extensive knowledge of the public interest law sector required, including understanding of social justice issues and familiarity with nonprofit organizations.
- Fundraising experience or relationship management experience preferred.
- Law firm or in-house legal department experience preferred.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects; self-starter; operates independently and works well in a team environment; great communicator.
- Minimum of four years of acquiring and using industry knowledge and/or skills in similar positions.
- Ability and willingness to travel 30%.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary range is commensurate with experience. Comprehensive and generous benefits package commensurate with education and experience, including loan repayment assistance, full healthcare coverage, dental and 401k.
Applicants should send a resume, three references, and cover letter describing in detail their experience, qualifications and why they would be a good fit. Please note: Phone calls will not be accepted.
EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.