+Peace is a coalition of the world’s leading peacebuilding organizations mobilizing people, governments, and the private sector to tackle global violence and division. In 2018, +Peace led the campaign to put peacebuilding in the world’s English-language dictionaries. Housed at the Alliance for Peacebuilding, +Peace is now building out its membership base, refining its governance model, and preparing to launch its multi-year campaign platform. There are currently 20 members with partners in 85 countries as well as several institutional allies and partners. The Steering Board is led by the Alliance for Peacebuilding, American Friends Service Committee, Generations for Peace, GPPAC Foundation, and Search for Common Ground.
The Communications Consultant will develop and produce a Communications Toolkit to support the formal launch of +Peace to the public this September and the Coalition’s multi-year awareness raising and influence objectives. Additional responsibilities may include creating a spokesperson training deck and public content pieces. The ideal candidate will have:
- Outstanding writing skills;
- A track record of effectively communicating evidence into stories and soundbites that are accessible and motivating to political and public audiences;
- A demonstrated history of driving narrative change with uptake on complex policy and developmental issues; and
- A knack for weaving storytelling and human-interest pieces into complex policy debates.
+Peace has a broad scope of audiences: mobilizing “people, governments, and the private sector” to tackle global levels of violence and division. We seek to inspire “ordinary” people around the world, helping them see, access, and support effective, nonviolent solutions to today’s challenges of division, polarization, violence, and war. We work with governments – including city and municipal officials, national elected and civil officers, and international donor and diplomatic staff – to replace ineffective policies with effective ones. And we work with the private sector, working to make contributions to peace as critical of a private sector priority as environmental sustainability or diversity, equity, and inclusion. While we are a truly global coalition with partners in over 85 countries, our initial geo-targeted priority countries for our core campaigns currently include the USA, Colombia, DRC, and all European Union countries.
The world is struggling to effectively manage violence and violent conflict. Right now, we are experiencing a 30-year high in violent conflict. Battle deaths worldwide have increased by 340% over the last 10 years. According to the United Nations, 70.8 million people are now displaced – 90% of whom are fleeing violence, war, and persecution. The conflict management systems built to maintain peace and security after World War II are struggling to manage contemporary modes of conflict. Despite the $14.3T that goes into violence containment annually, violence and violent conflict continue to shock humanity, constrain healthy economic growth, and erode global social cohesion.
+Peace is coming together to tackle these challenge head on, elevating practical and moral solutions to reverse these trends and put humanity back on track to be able to solve its toughest challenges ahead – climate change mitigation, inequity, and more. Our coalition includes Nobel Peace Prize Laurates, lead mediation teams working to end the wars in Yemen and Syria, academics and researchers, and frontline peacebuilders in over 85 countries. We seek to elevate public visibility of peacebuilders and solutions of what works, inspire public support for peacebuilding, and cultivate a movement that will demand systemic change.
Communications Consultant Duties & Requirements
Working with the +Peace Director and the Branding & Communications Working Group, the Communications Consultant will develop a Communications Toolkit that pulls together best-in-show evidence, stories, and arguments from +Peace members, academics, economists, and policy institutions regarding peacebuilding and violence reduction and organizes them into coherent key messages, talking points, and narrative arcs to advance the +Peace Coalition’s multi-year awareness raising and influence strategy and serve as the primary communications source documented for our global spokespeople. Time permitting, additional duties may include developing a spokesperson training deck and targeted public content pieces that operationalize the Communications Toolkit.
The Toolkit should include:
- A collection of facts, stories, arguments and other evidence which demonstrate the need for and effectiveness of peacebuilding approaches in reducing violence, division, and violent conflict;
- Overarching key messages for communicating the urgency and need of +Peace’s mission
- Key messages and talking points which make the case for peacebuilding and violence reduction approaches to today’s challenges of violence, war, and polarization
- Key messages and talking points for each of our core campaigns (we will be launching +Peace by rolling out 3 priority campaigns as our campaign platform)
- A set of images which supports this content
Skills and Experience
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex political issues into accessible, inspiring content for political, policy, and public audience friendly content;
- Excellent written/verbal presentation, listening skills, proofreading and copy-editing skills required;
- BA degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, International Relations or a related field or equivalent work experience;
- Proficiency in Windows, Google, and Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel + Google versions).
- Experience in public relations agency and / or journalism background preferred;
- Experience in targeted awareness raising and brand profile building campaign;
- Demonstrated experience in successfully developing and executing an evidence-to-uptake influence strategy;
- Track record of effectively communicating evidence into stories and soundbites that are accessible and motivating to political and public audiences; and
- Knowledge and/or experience in the peacebuilding or conflict resolution sectors.
Request for Proposals
We seek project completion as soon as possible, with a hard deadline of 15th August 2019. +Peace offers competitive compensation.
To bid for this consultancy, please send a CV, at least three relevant writing samples, and a proposed outline of the Communications Toolkit, please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application. . Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Bids will be considered on a rolling basis until filled.
For any questions, please contact Madeline Rose, Director, +Peace Coalition, at: email@example.com.