Partnership Communication Specialist – Generation Unlimited, P3, DOC-NYHQ
Job Number: 522748 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Headquarters Locations: United States
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does – in programmes, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. Over the decades, UNICEF has worked to protect the rights of children of all ages – from earliest childhood through adolescence – and will continue to deliver for all children and adolescents under the five goal areas of the Strategic Plan. In recent years, our work to support the unique needs of adolescents has gained momentum, as the challenges facing them have come more sharply into view. The second decade of life is a time of tremendous opportunity – and for far too many adolescents, great risk and increasing challenges.
For every child, a Partnership
Building on work across the UN with and for young people, and in line with the UN Youth Strategy, UNICEF is developing a new global partnership dedicated to expanding opportunity for young people, ages 10-24. Generation Unlimited is centered on finding new ways to ensure that every young person is in school, learning, training or employment by 2030 – with a focus on those in the greatest danger of being left behind, including girls, the poorest, those with disabilities, young people on the move and those affected by conflict and natural disasters.
This partnership brings together leaders from governments, UN agencies, the private sector, academia, international and civil society organizations, and young people. The partnership identifies, co-create, resource and scale-up innovative solutions to expand opportunity for young people. Good programmes will be matched with adequate financing and technical support; investors will find viable solutions to invest in and strong accountability mechanisms that provide adequate assurance of results and financial management; and young people will participate meaningfully in the co-creation of solutions, informing, advising and helping implement at every step of the way.
How can you make a difference?
The Partnership Communication Specialist position will be located in the Division of Communication with direct support to the Interim Secretariat of Generation Unlimited. The Partnership Communication Specialist reports to the Head of Youth Engagement in direct support of the Principal Adviser, Gen U, who is the Director of the Interim Secretariat.
The Partnership Communication Specialist supports the articulation with partners and provides operational support for communications, advocacy and outreach. It is responsible for the communication with partners and the preparation and implementation of Gen U’s communications and advocacy strategy in close coordination with the different sections of the Department of Communications (DoC) as well as members of the Executive Committee of the Gen U. He/she is expected to work with DoC colleagues and internal and external partners and stakeholders to ensure that communication is consistent with the goals, targets and priorities set in the programme of activities approved by the Global Board of Gen U and is consistent with the accepted norms for due diligence and ethics.
KEY FUNCTION, ACCOUNTABILITIES, AND RELATED DUTIES/TASKS
1.Support partnership communication for Generation Unlimited.
- Ensure a regular flow of information to grow the partnership, using communications materials to encourage commitments, dialogue and engagement.
- Draft and elaborate informative e-mails, newsletters, partnership tool kits, presentations, and other necessary engagement materials.
- Ensure or enhance the quality, consistency and appropriateness of communication materials and messages shared with partners.
- Work proactively with partners across GenU to identify opportunities for communication, advocacy, youth engagement and sharing information about major progress and results.
- Keep track and relations regarding the communication with Leaders, Champions, Global Board members, and Partnership Forum Engagement.
- Assist in the identification of opportunities for cooperation and potential contributions of Generation Unlimited partners and potential partners.
- Coordinate closely with the staff working within other technical areas of the Secretariat synergies for collaboration.
- Monitor, evaluate and share results and findings with partners of communication and advocacy strategy.
2.Support the development and implementation of the communication and advocacy strategy, plans and events.
- Develop, maintain and update the communication and advocacy strategy and associated work plan for Generation Unlimited. Strategy and work plan include: an stakeholder assessment; objectives; target audiences; messages and media mix; resources; specific actions, activities and products; monitoring and evaluation of impact; success and opportunity for improvement; ongoing refinement of the strategy.
- Ensure effective monitoring mechanisms are in place to track effectiveness advocacy and communication taking corrective action when necessary.
- Identify opportunities to promote the partnership at high visibility events, UN moments, multi-stakeholder platforms such as WEF, leading industry / B2B events, civil society conferences, etc.
- Coordinate outreach to media, working closely with the communication and advocacy units of partners and optimize their contributions.
3. Support the communication and advocacy’s workstream of Generation Unlimited
- Develop, implement and monitor plan of action for the communication and advocacy’s workstream.
- Coordinate and manage the workstream, update members and send regular communications.
- Mobilize, broker and leverage members of workstream to amplify the communication efforts.
4. Support communication of solutions at scale, grand challenge, new ideas and young people engagement.
- Support the communication aspects of regionalization and localization of Generation Unlimited.
- Oversee brand management on GenU and advise on local implementation.
- Support communication aspects for dissemination of identified solutions at scale, grand challenge and new ideas.
- Collaborate and coordinate advocacy communication plans and activities with partners working on young people’s participation to optimize their voice and contributions to the Gen U Brand and resource mobilization efforts.
- Support young people participation in governance, co-creation of solutions and influencing.
- Implement communication plan for global Youth Challenge and support local implementation.
- Develop, implement and monitor massive engagement of young people for Generation Unlimited.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: communication, international development, journalism, social sciences, business administration, management, marketing or fundraising.
- Five years of progressively responsible of professional experience in social development planning and management.
- Experience in a partnership communication or strategic partnerships role; mix of corporate and non-profit experience preferred
- Proven experience in communications is required. Engagements and partnership experience with the media sector is a strong asset.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Ability to build relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds and styles, and experience working with contacts at all levels of companies, UN organizations, including presenting to senior-level decision makers and influencers across business units and functions, including foundation contacts, as well as marketing/PR contacts
- Ability to lead internal and external meetings
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and prioritize while working under multiple deadlines.
- Excellent problem solving and negotiation skills; ability to effectively collect, analyze, organize, distill and present information
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially PowerPoint
- Understanding and experience with the stages of partnership development, from qualifying, exploratory conversations, strategic proposal development, negotiations and contracting
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are…
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (III)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Entrepreneurial thinking (II)
- Applying technical expertise (II)
- Relating and networking (II)
- Deciding and initiating action (II)
- Persuading and influencing (II)
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Fri Jun 07 2019 08:00:00 GMT-0500 (Colombia Standard Time) Eastern Daylight Time
Closing Date Fri Jun 21 2019 22:55:00 GMT-0500 (Colombia Standard Time)