Director of Marketing, Communications, and Storytelling
Overview: Web-based international education nonprofit seeking support with building dialogue and institutional partnerships with universities, social impact organizations, students, researchers, journalists, and other stakeholders in the sphere of critical global engagement / education abroad / international service-learning. Position combines digital storytelling, social media content strategy, data analytics, building relationships, and advocating for social justice. Starting compensation package is competitive hourly rate at 30 hrs / week. For the right candidate, we hope to transition this to a full-time, salaried position.
Organization: Omprakash (http://www.omprakash.org)
Organization Background: Omprakash is a web-based non-profit connecting grassroots social impact projects in over 35 countries (our ‘Partners’) with an audience of volunteers, donors, and other supporters. Our platform also facilitates crowdfunding, online learning, and critical dialogue amongst experts and practitioners across fields including international development, public health, education, and environmental sustainability. We have no physical headquarters; all team members work remotely from locations around the world.
Our flagship program, Omprakash EdGE (www.omprakash.org/edge), is a tuition-based online learning platform designed to support students who are preparing for international internships or service experiences. Its purpose is to facilitate more critically-informed volunteering while also generating revenue to support the broader operations of Omprakash. By offering the EdGE program to universities, ‘gap year’ audiences, and others, we aim to set a new standard for ethically-informed international volunteering.
More info about our approach can be found at:
Responsibilities and Expectations:
The core purpose of this position is to grow and promote the Omprakash network by connecting the stories, opportunities, and people within the network to the wider world.
As we continue to grow all aspects of our programming — especially our EdGE program, our network of Partners and volunteers, and our Global Dialogue forum — we seek to build new relationships with universities, social impact organizations, students, researchers, journalists, public intellectuals, activists, and other key stakeholders that could benefit from joining the Omprakash network and/or using our EdGE online learning platform.
To help us achieve our mission, we seek the support of a team member who is proactive, creative, entrepreneurial, technologically savvy, and an enthusiastic communicator. This person should be knowledgeable about the ‘education abroad’ sector within and beyond higher ed, and excited about driving change within this sector. They should have a clear understanding of our unique approach and should be excited about pitching this approach to universities and other third parties who could benefit from making use of the Omprakash platform.
Daily activities might include:
- EdGE Outreach: researching prospective EdGE collaborators; writing proposals to prospective EdGE collaborators; emailing and/or meeting via Skype with prospective EdGE collaborators to discuss program design and development.
- Social Media and Digital Storytelling: writing blogs to spotlight interesting people and opportunities within the Omprakash network; sharing these blogs (or other, shorter updates) via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram; using social media channels to target and engage specific audiences (reaching out and/or responding to EdGE collaborators, prospective Partners, etc., via Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.); compiling photo and video content from across our network and sharing on our blog or social media; connecting users within our network, e.g. using email or social media to share volunteer opportunities with relevant volunteers, or to share a blog post or Global Dialogue thread with interested audiences.
- SEO, PR, and Digital Marketing: advising Omprakash admin team on outreach strategy; representing Omprakash at conferences and/or other other settings relevant to global education / service-learning; supporting Omprakash in digital and print marketing and PR efforts; studying Google Analytics or social media analytics to develop and refine SEO and digital marketing strategy.
- Growing and supporting the Omprakash network: recruiting new Omprakash Partners; communicating with Omprakash Partners around the world to ensure they are making the most of the Omprakash platform; communicating with new EdGE registrants.
This role can be fulfilled remotely, from anywhere with a good internet connection, and will require a time commitment of at least 30 hrs / week. Applicants should be comfortable working without direct supervision, and should be self-motivated, creative, critical thinkers. The position will be compensated on a competitive basis, first on an hourly basis, and with the potential to evolve into a full-time salaried position.
Omprakash does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability. This position is open to all who meet the qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent writing skills
- Knowledge of the ‘education abroad’ and ‘international volunteering’ sectors
- Savviness and comfort working across various technology platforms. Prior experience with Salesforce is a plus. Prior experience managing social media accounts in a professional and/or personal-intellectual capacity is also a major plus. We will train on specific platforms, but technological savvy/comfort is required.
- Committed professional attention. Because we are looking to find a candidate that can accelerate into a full-time and salaried role, we seek candidates that would be excited to make a professional commitment to Omprakash and this position.
- Ability to be an effective, independent, disciplined remote-worker. Because we have no headquarters our work style is relaxed and fluid, yet we remain fully accountable to each other and our mission.
- Ability to think creatively and communicate confidently. You will be joining a small, dedicated core team with large goals. We are not interested in finding someone to do whatever is ‘assigned.’ We are looking for someone who can assert themselves and begin dreaming up their own assignments.
How to Apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to info(at)omprakash.org The cover letter should demonstrate that you understand the opportunities and expectations described above, and that you are capable of thinking creatively about how you can contribute to the Omprakash mission. Please cite PCDNetwork as the source of the job posting in your cover letter.
Application Deadline: March 31st, 2017