Nonviolent Peaceforce (NP) is a dynamic, international non-governmental organization. We work with people affected by violent conflicts to enhance their security and dignity through unarmed civilian protection (UCP). We work to reduce violence and protect civilians in countries affected by violent conflict and its aftermath and to help transform the world’s response to conflict situations.
NP currently has humanitarian protection programming in the Ninewa region of Northern Iraq, conducting Camp-based and Return areas Protection and peacebuilding activities for displaced persons and returnees. We are seeking highly motivated and experienced Team Leader with great leadership skills to develop and manage civilian protection and violence-prevention programming for those affected by violent conflict in the region.
You have a proven capacity to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities that range from leading rapid response protection programming, to guiding longer term violence reduction work, to representing NP to a variety of stakeholders, to coaching a diverse team in challenging circumstances while ensuring logistics and administration is taken care of.
You are ready to live and work in highly challenging environment where the context is constantly changing and there are frequent periods of insecurity. You are a highly creative problem solver, who will tenaciously find solutions. You are able to build positive relationships with a wide range of actors; you motivate, inspire and nurture the development of your team. The Nonviolent Peaceforce programme in Iraq is young and growing – you are someone who wants to contribute to building something.
The post is based in the Tel Afar district, with frequent travel to other field locations. Applicants should be ready for rapid deployment.
Duty Station: Tel Afar District (al-al-Ayadia), Ninewa governorate, Northern Iraq
Line Manager: Head of Programs
Responsibility: 3 International Protection Officers and 7 National Protection Officers
The Team Leader is responsible for the on-site management of an NP field team. This shall entail ensuring the effective implementation of civilian protection programming while providing for field-based personnel management, financial and administrative functions, coordinating with HQ regarding logistics and procurement and ensuring compliance with NP’s security policies and procedures and country strategy. The Team Leader is the primary representative of NP at coordination meetings with NGO partners and government authorities and departments in the field team’s area of operation.
A. Commitment to NP Principles
* Demonstrate a commitment to NP’s mandate and principles
* Maintain a positive image of the organization full time while in the field.
B. Programme Implementation
* Responsible for the overall planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting, and general administration of NP projects in the TL’s respective field location in accordance with the project description and in accordance with policies, donor agreements and guidelines
* Leads, guides and supports their NP field team in proactive and reactive activities, guiding the team on implementation and emergency response as needed
* Develops new and innovative programming ideas drawn from lessons learned in the field and shares them with the Management Team in Erbil for further discussion and agreement
C. Coordination and accountability
* Builds effective networks and collaborative relationships, strengthens communication and coordination with partners, communities, NGOs and local- and state-level government stakeholders and protects NP’s integrity and accountability
* Takes prompt and appropriate action to resolve existing and anticipated problems and address the concerns and complaints of stakeholders
D. Monitoring and reporting
* Carries out regular field supervision and monitoring of activities and processes in which project funds, materials and equipment are utilised and verifies progress and quality of work done in accordance with monitoring and evaluation systems and indicators
* Implements NP procedures for internal monitoring, smooth implementation, and reporting of emergency activities in accordance with project objectives and indicators and ensures regular communication and reporting with Head of Programs and Programme Development Officer
* Oversees preparation of quality and timely weekly and monthly reports for submission
* Supervises the NP field staff and provides oversight on day to day planning, data collection, analysis, documentation/reporting
* Ensures periodic project reviews and lesson learning exercises are conducted and documented
* Monitors closely project expenditures against the approved budgets
* Ensures effective application of adequate internal control and risk management procedures, including proper authorization of purchases and payments, and ensures satisfactory accountability of all project expenditures in line with NP financial policies
* In coordination with the Heads of Programs, prepares and presents timely and accurate monthly financial projections of expenditure for field site operations and programme implementation and flags any potential funding deficits in order to allow adequate time to apply contingency measures so as not to disrupt programme implementation
* Ensures timely submission of weekly financial reports, supporting documentation and supports the Heads of Programs to fulfill their financial management responsibility
F. Human Resources
* Recruits qualified local staff with the help of Heads of Programs; manages the performance of staff under his/her direct supervision
* Maintains team work and an enabling working environment for field teams including ensuring clear reporting and communication channels and regular documented meetings
* Supports the professional development of the team members and conducts regular performance appraisal of team members
* Consults with Heads of Programs to strategize on responses to performance and disciplinary challenges, identifies staff welfare concerns such as burn-out and flags it to Staff Welfare to ensure intervention and mitigation
* Coordinates the timely submission of logistics and procurement requests with Operations Coordinator in Erbil
* Implements organisational goals, ensuring compliance by way of guiding field staff and inducting them into organizational systems and procedures
* Manages field site assets including equipment and materials in close consultation with the Head of Programs and Operations Manager
* Maintains updated monthly asset register and monitors and reports regularly on the proper usage of assets, supplies and other consumables
* Ensures safety and security of staff and advises and consults with the Head of Programs and the Security Advisor and Operations Coordinator on security matters, and takes appropriate action in line with the security policy
* Submits and coordinates timely leave schedules of all national and international staff in accordance with NP’s leave policy and with as little disruption to programming as possible
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
A. Education, Knowledge and Experience
* University degree in refugee law, human rights, international human rights law,
international humanitarian law, negotiation, mediation, human security or related field
* 3-5 years’ work experience in human security, child protection, refugee, IDP or civilian protection.
* Demonstrated management experience in working in complex security environment
* Demonstrated experience working with state authorities, negotiation and mediation
* Demonstrated ability to live, work and solve problems independently and effectively in remote, highly challenging locations
* Demonstrated ability to analyze conflict, security and political contexts
* Contextual knowledge of Iraq highly desirable
Independent judgement and analytical:
* Ability to set priorities, solve problems and analyse data
* Ability to manage information with discretion
* Demonstrable conflict analysis skills, identify entry points and design prevention and protection strategies
Interpersonal and representational:
* Ability to communicate effectively with individuals and motivate and provide leadership to team and to work in a multi-cultural environment
* Solutions focused, creative problem solver
* Proven ability to build relationships with the full range of actors including government, chiefs, military, police and non state actors
* Genuine commitment and interest in living and working at the community level
* Flexibility and adaptability
* Ability to structure and direct work plans of national and international staff, managing conflict and maximising human resources
* Ability to address staff welfare issues maturely and discreetly
* Ability to interact confidently in English with colleagues and external contacts, to write documents and reports, and to present effectively relevant information
* Knowledge of Arabic is highly desirable
* Good skills in Microsoft Office applications; IT hardware skills a definite asset
C. Other Specialized Requirements
* This field site is a complex security environment where conditions change rapidly–experience in insecure environments is essential to success in this position.
* Willingness to travel long distances by vehicle.
For more information about NP and its work, as well as full details of the position and the application process, please go to NP’s website: www.nonviolentpeaceforce.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 17 December 2018
Applications will be accepted and processed on a rolling basis.
Please email your updated CV together with a letter of motivation that tells us why you are interested in this position and how you are ideally suited to this particular position.
Email address is: recruitNPME@nonviolentpeaceforce.org