Website Mothers Out Front
Director of Communications
Location: United States
Type: Full TimeMin. Experience: Senior Manager/Supervisor
This is the moment for climate action. Scientific consensus says we have 11 years in which to transform our energy system in order to avoid the most devastating impacts of climate change. What’s most needed to reach this ambitious goal is a well-organized, broad-based constituency pushing our leaders to take bold action. Mothers Out Front is positioned to grow our diverse, mother-led grassroots climate movement into a force for the change we need to ensure a livable climate for all children and we seek an experienced, creative, and strategic director of communications to elevate the voices of mothers and support our organizing work.
We are a fully remote, dynamic social impact organization with ambitious expansion goals. As our Director of Communications, you will be part of the senior management team and will help to shape and lead this expansion. We are committed to being member-led and you will work closely with member leaders to develop our communications strategy and mobilize a diverse group of stakeholders behind a common vision. This is an exciting leadership opportunity for a strategic, collaborative and energetic individual. This job will be open until it is filled and we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
About Mothers Out Front
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change. Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level.
Mothers Out Front is a grassroots organization working to build a movement across race and class. We work with and draw leadership from the frontline communities who are experiencing the worst effects of fossil fuels and climate change with particular attention to low-income communities and communities of color. The core of our work is organizing and our communications work is an essential partner in building power and winning campaigns. We believe that shifting the narrative in how we discuss climate change, its sources and solutions, is an essential component of our campaigns.
We are a member-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $4.1m. We have a staff of 35, with organizers on the ground in eight states, and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Reports to: Executive Director, partners with our member-led National Communications Team
Supervises: 1 FT Senior Campaign Strategist, 2 FT Communications Associates — and the opportunity to grow the team to meet our communications needs
As the Director of Communications, you will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, public relations message, and collateral to consistently articulate Mothers Out Front’s mission and support the organizing work we do.
Your responsibilities will include:
Develop and Implement a Strategic Communications Plan
- Building on our existing plans and success, develop a comprehensive communications plan for our growing movement;
- Developing a compelling narrative and messages that resonate with current and potential members and bring to life through high-impact communication activities;
- Putting in place the structures, tools and team to implement this plan;
- Working collaboratively with the Organizing Director, develop and execute a communications strategy to elevate the profile of the organization, support recruitment of mothers and build our movement;
- Working collaboratively with the Director of Development to support our philanthropic goals and success;
- Elevating the stories of our work at the local ,state, and national levels to inspire our members and win our campaigns.
- Leading and developing a team of communications staff that partners effectively with our organizing staff. Current staff include a Senior Campaign Strategist and two Communications Associates;
- Effectively overseeing all communications activities, and ensuring that such activities are designed and implemented in support of the organization’s communications goals with concrete results;
- Creating and cultivating relationships with media both nationally and regionally to support campaigns and broaden awareness of the organization;
- Generating online content that draws more mothers to our movement and drives them to action;
- Managing the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, website;
- Managing the website administration and coordination and ensuring content is fresh and up-to-date;
- Effectively using data analysis to assess our communications approaches and make changes as needed for greatest impact.
Your experience should include:
- A minimum of 10 years of communications experience working in a social impact, advocacy or political organization.
- Experience managing and empowering staff through active communication and delegation to foster accountability through clearly defined and measurable goals.
- Experience developing and executing a strategic communications plan and supporting strategic issue campaigns.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in managing competing priorities while maintaining high standards of quality and responsiveness.
Your knowledge, skills and abilities should include:
- Highly collaborative with an ability to work in a remote environment for a fully virtual organization where teamwork, collegiality and self-motivation are necessary for success. Ability to collaborate and share leadership with members.
- Excellent written, visual and oral communication skills.
- Multicultural competence and demonstrated ability to work with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, socio-economic, educational, linguistic, and religious backgrounds, as well as people of various physical abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and generations.
- Excellent solution-oriented skills with an ability to respond quickly to changing priorities.
- Strong project management skills, coupled with sharp attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
Details: Mothers Out Front is a virtual organization. Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. and will work from a home office. You will report to our Executive Director. This a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $100K to $120K, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental coverage, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Timeline: We are accepting applications for this position until it is filled. We have a thorough interview process which involves a phone interview, video interview, writing exercise, reference calls, and an in-person interview for candidates who continue to advance through the process. We also have a commitment to building up a sizable and diverse candidate pool before moving applicants to the final interview stages, which means there may be a delay in getting back to you. Our hope is that our process allows us to make the best possible decision and for you to learn more about us and appreciate your understanding if there is a delay at any point. We will do our best to keep you posted on your status throughout the process and ask that you stay in touch too.
To apply: Please click on “apply now” below, include a cover letter and resume, and let us know where you heard about the position. The position will be posted on our website until the role is filled.
Mothers Out Front is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.