Website Rockefeller Foundation
Managing Director, Climate & Resilience
The Managing Director, Climate & Resilience is responsible for scaling up and providing overall strategic direction and accountability for the Foundation’s impact and influence work in this sector. The MD will lead the development of market changing innovations that increase the capital that flows towards the development and implementation of climate and resilience projects globally. This will include reshaping and/or launching new financial products; leveraging data and technology to develop tools that inform, prioritize and support increased financial engagement; providing resilience and climate support to the Foundation’s programmatic teams; developing and leading a community of practice focused on resilience and climate; and supporting the development of policies that deliver an enabling environment which increases capital flows.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and execution of the vision and strategy for the Climate & Resilience team.
- Serve as the programmatic, operational, and policy and advocacy lead for Climate & Resilience at the Foundation.
- Manage an annual budget for programmatic grant making and program related investments (PRI) to enable outcomes in Climate & Resilience.
- Evaluate and support the development of innovative financial products, eligible for grant, PRI or partnership opportunities that advance the Foundation’s Climate & Resilience goals.
- Manage and support the impact outcomes associated with the Climate & Resilience team’s grant and PRI portfolio, including its grant to the Atlantic Council.
- Support collaboration among Climate & Resilience grantees to create a network effect.
- Ensure the success and scaling of The Urban Resilience Fund and Resilience Screen in partnership with the Foundation’s Innovative Finance and Data and Technology Teams.
- Partner with the [100RC regional hubs] to develop and support the ongoing management of the Global Resilience Coalition.
- Develop strategic relationships with key market participants, emphasizing financial institutions, leveraging their knowledge, relationships and resources to multiply the impact of the Foundation’s work.
- Represent the Foundation’s Climate & Resilience work through media interactions, op-eds and speaking engagements at key industry events.
- Coordinate Climate & Resilience efforts across the Foundation, to maximize the overall impact of the Foundation’s programmatic work.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation KPIs are established for the Climate & Resilience team.
- Establish an advisory council to guide and support the Climate & Resilience team’s activities.
- MD is responsible for the hiring, ongoing development, training and retention of staff on the Climate & Resilience team. The MD will lead performance reviews.
Education, Experience and Skills
- 20 plus years related working experience, including experience in the private sector.
- Experienced resilience and climate practitioner, with a passion for advancing innovation in these fields.
- Capital markets experience with completed transactions in infrastructure project finance; blended finance and/or risk transfer.
- Outstanding relationships with key players in the space, having successfully managed a portfolio of high level partnerships.
- Track record of successfully managing multi-sector businesses, projects and delivering impact within budget.
- Entrepreneurial, with an impact and results oriented mindset.
- Strong people management skills, having designed, developed and implemented complex ideas and strategies in varied contexts.
- Successfully operating in matrix organizations with shifting roles and goals.
- Developing strategies for and implementing innovation systems in different settings.
- Programmatic experience in at least two of the Foundation’s issue areas of Transform Cities, Secure Livelihoods, Advance Health, and Revalue Ecosystems.
- Familiarity working with diverse sectors: academia, government, civil society, and private.
- Developing and implementing technology-based solutions.
- Experience leading teams and mentoring staff development.
- Experienced at external representation.
- Experience in setting priorities in dynamic environments.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing, managing and implementing multi-party projects, often global, with defined objectives, deliverables, monitoring and evaluation of results.
- International experience preferred – leading projects across geographies and cultures.
- Experience with evaluative research methods helpful.
- Excellent proficiency in English.
- The ability to travel (30-40%) both domestically and internationally.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Leadership: Vision, innovation, thought leadership, collaboration, integrity, accountability and emotional intelligence.
- Partnership and Relationship Building: Strong professional representation of the Foundation, interpersonal abilities, intercultural knowledge and appreciation, strategic partnership building.
- Communication: Superb interpersonal abilities; exceptional listening skills, writing and verbal skills.
- Decision-Making: Ability to evaluate risks and opportunities, using analytical and strong problem-solving skills.
- Execution: Strong project management skills, deadline management, sense of responsibility and accountability and the ability to effectively multi-task.
- Integration: Demonstrate inclusiveness, collaboration, respect and broad organizational interests.
- Strategic Ability: To see opportunities, identify required choices and tradeoffs, and design innovative approaches backed by strong analysis and planning.
- People Management: Superb skills in team building, coaching, mentoring, delegating, inspiring and motivating.
- Nimbleness: Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in an environment with some ambiguity, being flexible to change course as needed to ensure relevancy of work, and remaining calm and considered under pressure.
The Rockefeller Foundation is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, the Foundation ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.