Website Kalu Yala
You can create teachable moments in any setting. You are passionate about mentoring future educators on how to best teach youth. You have experience working in community development and limited resource settings. You can do a lot with a little. You believe education is the solution. You have worked with youth in elementary through high school. You can write lesson plans and teach others to do the same. You are a project manager and community liaison. You will lead 10 undergraduate students in a 10-week semester, working to improve education in a small town in Panama.
Each week, there will be 5 hours of traditional education in the form of lecture or seminar based learning. For 15 hours each week, you will facilitate your students in your own Kalu Yala based education projects and as you teach in the public K-7 school system, do research and make plans for improving education in the region. 10 hours are reserved for you to facilitate your students pursuing their own education-focused, independent projects. You are also responsible for administration and planning of lessons as well as accessing communications and documenting progress. Though we are in an off-the-grid setting, there is still a need for using technology and communicating with other venues and administration.
- 5+ years experience in teaching, curriculum development and working with K-7 students
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Degree related to education or community development, Masters or PhD preferred
- Strong planner who enjoys organization
- Group leadership skills
- Excited to connect to members of the local community
- Desire to help fulfill the vision of Kalu Yala, expressed here: www.kaluyala.com
- Spanish speaker
- Wilderness First Responder or other medical training
- CPR certified
- Manual vehicle/4×4 experience
- Flexible and resilient
- Experience living in community
- $2,000 per month
- Bonus based on performance review and company financial performance
- Room + Board in our tropical wilderness camp
- 6 weeks paid vacation yearly, 2 weeks accrued semesterly after 3 month probationary period
Kalu Yala is building towns. And we’ve started with two Institutes.
Kalu Yala is a place to work, learn, grow, and live with a diverse team of sustainably-minded people working to achieving our common goal of demonstrating a better way to live. We do this through completion of our individual roles and expressing our individual creativity and unique style. We are a pro-active, professional, and team-first culture. Kalu Yala is not just about goals or technical skills; we represent a new way of thinking about companies, about towns, about the world. We are constantly encouraging our employees to use their varied experience in brainstorming solutions and apply those ideas to our specific setting. We are constantly seeking employees that are excited to build new relationships and connect with others in Panama.