Internews Network is an international media development organization based in Arcata California and Washington, DC whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect, and the means to make their voices heard. Internews has worked in Afghanistan since 2002 to further development of independent media and access to information.
Internews Network is seeking a Media and Gender Adviser candidate for a three year USAID-funded media support program with the goal of supporting Afghan media engagement in order to enable Afghan citizens influence policy, monitor government accountability, and serve as an advocate for political reform. The Media and Gender Adviser will report to the Country Director and will provide technical journalist expertise in gender issues to complement the management skills of the Deputy Chief of Party. He/She will provide management support on all program activities and leadership on M&E, communications, and reporting.
Note: Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of project funding
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provide key technical program advice to program staff on gender and media.
- Ensure mainstreaming of gender approaches throughout program.
- Overall responsibility for ensuring high quality program standards, including program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation.
- Provide strategic assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track.
- Directly supervise the M&E and communications program staff.
- Provide technical advice on the development of program internal and external communications materials in collaboration with the program team.
- Support Internews program team and partners on media and gender matters supporting the successful completion of all deliverables.
- Mentor local program management staff and ensure their involvement in all aspects of the implementation of the program.
- Represent Internews at external meetings as required.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned
Manage and oversee all program staff. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- At least five years’ experience in program implementation and management in the areas of gender and media required, and experience managing USAID-funded programs desirable.
- Experience working in Afghanistan required.
- Understanding of media development preferred.
- Excellent writing skills required.
- Excellent diplomatic, interpersonal, and communication skills required.
- Demonstrated decision-making, problem-solving, and team-building ability required.
- Relevant degree required; graduate degree preferred.
- Local language skills are highly desirable.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.