Internews seeks a Senior Media Advisor for a USAID-funded media support program in Sri Lanka. The Senior Media Advisor is responsible for capacity building of Sri Lankan media partners, in all areas of media development from journalism training and content production to business development and management. The Senior Media Advisor will be delegated other management responsibilities by the project Chief of Party (COP) as appropriate, including staff performance management, project management and senior representation roles. The position will be based in Colombo.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Technical support, guidance and mentoring to media partners and beneficiaries.
- Oversight of sub-awards and mentoring to partners, including quality assurance, reporting and M&E compliance.
- Work with the COP, local partners, and local staff to design innovative strategies that support individual Sri Lankan media outlets and strengthen the media sector holistically.
- Develop and maintain understanding of issues affecting both the media community and the media development community in Sri Lanka, including security and political factors.
- Build and maintain relationships with national and local media outlets; support sustainable media business models, including digital and mobile platforms.
- Build and maintain relationships with local media development organizations.
- Strengthen and oversee curriculum development, training and mentoring activities.
- Support strategic communications efforts of Internews in coordination with the COP to promote and publicize project activities.
- Draft and submit deliverables such as work plans, proposals, annual reports, and close-out report.
- Assist the COP and other staff in raising funds for project continuation by writing proposals and developing corresponding budgets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Experience managing USG- funded media projects in complex development environments, preferably in Southeast Asia.
- At least 7 years’ experience in successfully advising and nurturing the skills and capacities of media managers and journalists.
- Experience in journalism training and production and applying country-relevant technical approaches to media craftsmanship and management.
- Experience working with Sri Lankan media, preferably in-country.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills; excellent communication skills.
- Experience creating and managing budgets.
- Significant ability to analyze and interpret media trends.
- Thorough understanding of the technical, political and social issues specific to Sri Lanka.
- International experience training and mentoring journalists or journalism students, as well as in developing training curriculum preferred.
- Proven interpersonal and networking skills with international organizations and donors.
- Team-building skills and the ability to manage a diverse staff.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.