Website International Refugee Rights Initiative
VACANCY: Executive Director
Published: 12 Nov 2018
|Job Title:||Executive Director|
|Reporting to:||Board of Directors|
|Terms and Conditions||Competitive salary with benefits including medical and relocation package (if applicable)Full time position
22 days leave a year in addition to statutory holidays
|Background to IRRI The International Refugee Rights Initiative (IRRI) – www.refugee-rights.org – was founded in 2004 to inform and improve responses to the cycles of violence and displacement that are at the heart of large-scale human rights violations. Headquartered in Uganda, we are registered as a non-governmental, non-profit organisation in the US, the UK and Uganda.
Over the last 14 years, we have developed a holistic approach to the protection of human rights before, during, and in the aftermath of displacement, by focusing on:
• identifying the violations that cause displacement and exile,
• protecting the rights of those who are displaced, and
• ensuring the solutions to their displacement are durable, rights respecting, safe and timely
We aim to ensure the voices of the displaced are both heard and heeded at the international level through our evidence based advocacy that is built on robust field based data collection and analysis.
|Job Outline:We are seeking a dynamic, experienced, and visionary leader to lead the organisation. This position requires an experienced, senior-level professional.
The Executive Director will be responsible for providing overall leadership and direction to IRRI, managing operations, programmes and activities, ensuring the ongoing financial viability of the organisation. S/he will be responsible for building effective working relationships with peers, and facilitating opportunities for cross-organisational collaboration, sharing, and learning and cultivating a work environment that provides space for reflection and lesson learning.
|Key areas of responsibilities:Strategic organisational leadership and representation
· Create and implement strategic plans for taking forward IRRI’s vision and mission in the next 3-5 years.
· Lead on the development and implementation of organisational outreach strategies that effectively communicate the organisation’s priorities and raise its profile.
· Identify and develop key relationships to achieve the organisational vision.
· Represent IRRI to share relevant achievements and outcomes, to promote our work and to advocate for change.
· Ensure efficient and functioning management systems, compliance with legal requirements and fulfilment of institutional commitments to all stakeholders.
· Coordinate the development and delivery of programming, providing leadership and support to the programme team. Be proactive in developing creative ideas and approaches to address the programme’s core areas of engagement.
· Oversee program planning, implementation, budgeting, documentation, monitoring and reporting.
· Ensure the timely delivery of narrative and financial reports for donors and for internal processes.
· Develop and oversee formal and informal partnerships and maintain good relationships with selected local, national, and international actors.
· Ensure effective knowledge management on cross–organisational thematic issues and support functions.
Human resources and people management
· Foster a supportive, transparent and accountable environment that fosters high quality work.
· Address health and safety issues in the office.
· Oversee the organisation’s security policy, ensuring the security of staff, both in country and while travelling and organisational information.
· Demonstrate effective, values driven leadership.
· Lead programme staff on the design and development of new funding proposals.
· Cultivate and maintain good relations with donors.
· Ensure timely and high quality financial and narrative reporting in compliance with contractual obligations to funding partners.
Financial and admin management
Oversee all the operational and administrative functions of the organisation, in particular:
· Sign off organisational expenses and financial reporting to donors.
· Ensure compliance with legal and donor financial requirements.
· Plan, manage, and review the annual budget, using it as a tool for decision-making and monitoring.