Website Norwegian Refugee Council
Education Specialist – Colombia
Education Specialist – Colombia – Norwegian Refugee Council
We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP, our expert deployment capacity, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
The purpose of the Education Core Competence (CC) Specialist position is technical development, strategic direction and quality assurance of the Education CC for the Colombia Country Programme which includes programme activities in the five countries Colombia, Venezuela, Panama, Ecuador and Honduras. The Education Specialist is responsible for mentoring, training, capacity building staff on Education technical capacity.
The Education Specialist reports to the Head of Programme.
- Develop proposals to ensure the implementation of NRC’s strategy and objectives in the country regarding education
- Review project proposals and reports in order to ensure the technical quality and adherence to the Education Strategy and NRC Program Policy.
- Monthly visits to field offices to provide technical support and to ensure that the Education strategy and quality standards are being followed
- Design and conduct the process for developing / updating the Education strategy for the Colombia program
- Participate in project start up and follow up meetings according to assigned responsibilities
- Monthly meetings with stakeholders, particularly with the Ministries of Education and other education authorities relevant for the operation
- In coordination with Education Managers at field level identify training needs for the education staff
- Design and conduct training sessions with the education staff according to the identified needs
- Develop technical documents to communicate key process in the implementation of the education strategy to the education staff
- Identify the needs to conduct internal reviews and / or evaluations for Education activities / Strategy in the Colombia program
- Minimum 4 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Education expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Experience in designing and developing education in emergencies programming
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Fluency in Spanish, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of the Colombian and regional Humanitarian context is an asset
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusiveness and accountability
- Commencement: January/February 2019
- Duty station: Bogotá, Colombia
- Travel: 75% to field locations in Latin America
- Duration: 18 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Grade: 9
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location
For more details click here