Website Counterpart International
Counterpart International is currently seeking an Innovation Specialist to assist with the Innovation for Change Initiative, a strategic initiative supported by multiple donors, contingent on extension of the project. This is a full-time, one-year term position based in Arlington, VA, with a possibility for extension.
Innovation for Change (IfC) is a growing global network of people and online hubs, and regional centers in Africa, Central Asia, East Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and South Asia. These shared working spaces are places where people and organizations can connect and exchange ideas, debate the challenges of today and create solutions that will shape tomorrow. Our networks spark collaborations within civil society as well as partnerships with social and technology businesses and academia. We help power campaign and program development by offering advisory services, education and training, convening and network building, fundraising, free online tools and support with technology product development.
The initiative, which has reached the incubation phase through a year-long global co-creation/design process, operates based on a human-centered design and social innovation methodologies. As such, the nature of the work over the next year will adhere to similar principles. The core team will work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced, and iterative manner, within a flat management structure. Team members are expected to be forward thinking, entrepreneurial, and inquisitive; they should also feel comfortable and be confident in navigating through a high degree of ambiguity, to create the most responsive systems and products for this global effort.
• Work with Hubs to develop and drive innovation approach throughout the network
• Work with Project Director and Senior Innovation Specialist to expand strategic relationships with related innovation and technology-based networks addressing civic engagement principles
• Provide digital storytelling and citizen journalism expertise, including trainings and learning content
• Assist network in planning mobile collaboration and connectivity initiatives
• Assist network members in planning and conducting advocacy and outreach campaigns
• Provide capacity building support to the regional incubators and other Hub stakeholders.
• Provide technical input in evaluating solutions intended for partially connected environments, including situational awareness, data collection and operational use.
• Report and prepare deliverables, including reports, overviews, etc.
• Assist with the review of program work plans and performance monitoring and evaluation plans.
• Support Project Director in diversifying and expanding IfC network to include innovation talent
• Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (International Relations, International Development, Political Science, Business, Communications), master’s degree preferred.
- Five (5) years of practical experience conducing trainings in different parts of the world.
- Demonstrated experience citizen journalism and data journalism techniques
- Demonstrated experience in digital storytelling
- Experience with mobile survey and collaboration approaches
- Experience working in restrictive and partially connected environments
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail under time-pressure and on short-deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work creatively and problem solve in fluid situations.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural and multi-lingual settings.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel up to 30% domestically and internationally.
- Strong internet and computer software skills, including MS Office Suite program/Office 365, Google Apps, mobile apps, and web-based research tools, and mobile apps.
- Language skills in Spanish, French, Arabic, and/or Russian.