Website Global Press
Business Development Manager
Department: Global Press News Service
Status: 5 month consultancy contract with potential for full-time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Compensation: $8,000 – $10,000 (DOE)
Deadline to receive applications: July 20, 2019
Start date: August 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019
About Global Press:
Global Press is an innovative and ethical media company that has been growing at a steady and sustainable pace for the last 13 years. We seek out diverse team members who are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation.
To learn more about Global Press, read our 2018 Annual Report here.
You will build the team capabilities of the Global Press News Service department, scope product-market fits, segment and identify a customer base, and launch multiple products in order to generate revenue from the award-winning content and other assets/capabilities of Global Press.
You will report to the Chief Operating Officer for the duration of the five-month consultancy, which will significantly contribute to the transformation of an industry looking for innovative business models. There is an option to extend the contract and opportunities for a full-time role.
• Review and revise existing business case analyses for presentation to the COO and CEO
• Conduct a review and design a new cost structure for Global Press News Service (GPNS) products
• Research and identify a path forward for a new business entity at Global Press and implement this new strategy with the COO and CEO
• Research and present all risks related to a new business strategy and entity for Global Press
• Identify a preliminary target list of customers and engage in outreach to generate at least 25 leads for further development through the customer funnel (this number can be negotiated)
• Lead product development and launch for:
– A news product in consultation with the News Director
– An educational or training product in consultation with the Instructional Designer
– A Duty of Care product in consultation with the CEO and Instructional Designer
– Note: developing each of these products will require working cross-functionally at Global Press to scope the products, define the product owners, develop summary materials to market the product, connect with potential initial customers and then launch the product through a PR and marketing push.
• Own marketing the products to targeted sales audiences
• A Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of business development work experience OR an MBA with 2-3 years of work experience
• An innate ability to focus on strategy and implementation
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills across the business development continuum from trend analysis, strategy development through product development, production, compliance and delivery
• Interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills, including presentation skills
• Demonstrated skill in strengthening business
• Demonstrated skill in managing communications with partners and clients
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills becoming of a world-class news organization (Note: Global Press requires candidates to take a writing assessment.)
• The ability to respond immediately and effectively to challenges with enthusiasm and good humor
• Prior experience working at a media company (strongly preferred)
• Prior experience in product management, sales and/or marketing
The other important stuff:
Write a brief cover letter (Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application) in the body of an email explaining why you are the perfect person for this job. Attach your CV. All emails should be sent to email@example.com with the subject Go-to-Market Consultant. We will acknowledge receipt, but only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Photo at top by Paige Stoyer, Global Press