Website Partners Global
Sub-Saharan Africa Senior Program Manager
Position Type: Full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start Date: As soon as possiblePartnersGlobal (previously Partners for Democratic Change) established in 1989, is an international, non-governmental organization committed to promoting transparent and accountable governance by strengthening civil society organizations and encouraging a culture of change and conflict management worldwide. PartnersGlobal specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish 19 independent, local Centers throughout the world. Together, these Centers comprise the Partners Network. The Partners Network includes over 240 skilled professional working to advance good governance and conflict transformation worldwide.PartnersGlobal believes in the power of participatory decision-making, collaboration, and consensus-building as the fundamentals of an inclusive and democratic society, and we promote the development of these skills in all aspects of our work. In Africa we support civil society, government and private sector leaders to apply these skills in their work to improve governance and provide for the security and safety of all citizens. More specifically, the team has focused on citizen security, anti-corruption, extractive industry transparency and citizen engagement. The global Partners team includes process experts, facilitators, and trainers who apply those skills to achieve concrete results in a wide array of fields, such as rule of law, women’s empowerment, security sector reform, and sustainable natural resource management.
We currently have two affiliate Centers in sub-Saharan Africa. Partners West Africa – Senegal focuses on governance, dialogue and security reform in the Sahel. Partners West Africa – Nigeria works on justice, rule of law, good governance, anti-corruption and citizen engagement in security sector reform throughout Anglophone West Africa. In partnership with the Center leadership, we have expanded the reach of the Partners Network and implemented several new multi-country initiatives in West Africa related to these programming areas.
PartnersGlobal’s Sub-Saharan Africa program is seeking a Senior Program Manager with extensive project management experience and thought leadership on issues related to citizen security, civil society capacity building and access to justice. A successful applicant will have at least seven years of experience working on Sub-Saharan Africa. This position reports to the Director of Sub-Saharan Africa.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing projects in PartnersGlobal’s Sub-Saharan Africa portfolio and ensuring programs are in compliance with donor requirements;
- Providing guidance, leadership, and technical expertise in the design and implementation of innovative programs and initiatives;
- Producing written materials on PartnersGlobal’s Africa programs and represent PartnersGlobal in events to contribute to PartnersGlobal’s recognized thought-leadership;
- Developing program concepts, managing proposal process and timeline for proposal submissions, drafting program objectives, results and indicators, and, contributing to program strategy;
- Monitoring regional political developments and providing political and programmatic analysis;
- Managing assigned program areas and anticipating program and administrative needs;
- Traveling as necessary to support field-based teams in program implementation, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation. Travel is expected to be at a rate between 15 and 25%;
- Maintaining collaborative relationships with international democratic development organizations, civic organizations, and Partners’ network of trainers and experts;
- Contributing to the production of communication for web, print, and social media use;
- Fulfilling other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in International Relations or related subject;
- Extensive experience working on the sub-Saharan Africa region and more specifically on Nigeria and/or the Sahel region;
- A minimum of seven years relevant experience in managing international development projects (project design, start-up, implementation, and close-out);
- Demonstrated experience in implementing civil society, access to justice, citizen security, or related programs;
- Fluency in French is required;
- Must be a team player with a high level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity and must be comfortable working in a fast-paced work environment;
- A proven record and experience managing U.S. government-funded projects (understanding regulations, procedures, requirements, and demands and being able to respond to them with a high level of professionalism and knowledge);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to express complex ideas clearly;
- A track record writing proposals, coordinating proposal development efforts, and writing different types of technical reports and the ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of stakeholders and actors in HQ and in the field;
- A demonstrated ability to create and sustain strategic partnerships and negotiate with donors, prime contractors, and project partners;
- Experience with and ability to fulfill short-term field assignments;
- Ability to analyze, organize, problem-solve, manage, and prioritize work;
- Must have the ability to work in the United States.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 31, 2018. As the subject of your email, please write: “Application: Sub-Saharan Africa Senior Program Manager.” No phone calls please. We will contact applicants directly for an interview or to request additional information. Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
PartnersGlobal is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.