Website UN Foundation
Director, Global Advocacy, Data2X
United Nations Foundation
United Nations Foundation
Data2X is a collaborative technical and advocacy platform dedicated to improving the quality, availability, and use of gender data to make a practical difference in the lives of women and girls worldwide. We work with UN agencies, governments, civil society, academics, and the private sector to close gender data gaps, promote expanded and unbiased gender data collection, and use gender data to improve policies, strategies, and decision-making. There has been increasing attention to gender data, and some increase in dedicated funding for gender data and statistics. However, there is work to be done to match donor priorities and investments with an increase in production, analysis, and use of gender data at country, regional, and global levels.
We are seeking a senior professional to join our team, with experience, relationships, and understanding of the inner-workings of multilateral and/or donor communities, to shift practices over time in the development data sphere. This new position will work to elevate advocacy for gender data, with a focus on increasing tangible actions, collaboration, and investment in gender data among multilateral, donor, and policymaker communities. The position will lead Data2X’s efforts to identify the necessary changes in policy and investments to close gender data gaps – particularly those required for SDG achievement.
* Build upon and execute a high-level advocacy strategy focused on identifying the necessary policy changes – and accompanying investments required – to close gender data gaps
* Work to amplify the policy/advocacy outcomes of our existing portfolio and capitalize on opportunities created by the partnerships to spur policy change and guide advocacy strategies.
Work with colleagues in donor agencies (multilateral, bilateral, private) as well as advocacy partners (both technical and civil society) to develop resource mobilization strategies and recommendations for increasing investments in gender data to close existing gender data gaps.
* Work closely with Data2X leadership to identify, support, and execute plans focused on maintaining momentum for gender data during key global/regional moments. Serve as an external-facing voice for Data2X through writing and speaking opportunities.
* Explore advocacy engagement opportunities with the private sector (for instance, how private sector data can be better utilized for gender analysis with a policy impact) to assess feasibility/utility of greater time investment of Data2X in this space.
* Seasoned professional with a track record of leadership roles and ability to influence shifts in process, policies, resources, or priorities within large agencies or governments
* Work experience with or within a multilateral/IFI or large donor agency on development data, and existing relationships in multilateral and donor communities
* Strong understanding of global development systems, and, ideally, development data and national data systems
* Experience with building multi-sector partnerships and forging successful collaboration among large agencies
* Proven track record in refining, executing, and iterating an advocacy strategy with measurable outcomes, including resource mobilization, and in nurturing existing and new partnerships to advance progress towards those outcomes
* Experience managing staff, cross-team work products, and external relationships
* Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, International Development, or other relevant field
* Exceptional writing and speaking skills
* Adaptability & interest in working in a start-up environment and a dynamic, growing organization
* Ability to travel (up to 50% time during peak periods)
* Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
* Ability to work under pressure and handle stress