Website Amani Institute
Developing professionals who create social impact
Country Manager – India
Responding to the widely perceived gap between university education and the employment marketplace, Amani Institute’s mission is to prepare a new generation of leaders creating careers and lives of meaning and impact. We do this by developing new models of education and training that enable participants to develop the practical skills and networks for long-term career success.
Our core methodology comes to life in our award-winning Certificate in Social Innovation Management, which runs concurrently in both Kenya and Brazil, and which has so far enrolled 225 Fellows from 40+ countries in every continent. The program has been featured in Fast Company, Forbes, The Stanford Social Innovation Review, CNBC Africa, Vanity Fair, and The Huffington Post among other publications.
Amani Institute also develops customized training programs for foundations, universities, NGOs, and companies. Our 40+ clients to-date have included the US government’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), UNICEF, Vodafone, Ashoka, Georgetown University, Oxfam GB, CARE, and HIVOS.
Amani Institute was founded in 2011. Today we have “campuses” in Nairobi, Kenya and Sao Paulo, Brazil, and a staff with deep prior experience in the business, education, and social sectors. In addition, we are fortunate to be advised and supported by a faculty roster of over 30 global professionals at the top of their industries, including a Nobel Peace laureate, experts in leadership development from McKinsey & Company, a major documentary producer, a leading foundation director, and many others.
Through developing individuals who have the knowledge, practical skills, vision, courage, and networks to take on major challenges, our larger goal is to build much-needed capacity in organizations addressing social problems, thus enabling more effective operations across the entire field.
Description of Position
It is a joy to work on helping other people to build meaningful careers and lives. After successful launches in Nairobi, Kenya (2013) and Sao Paulo, Brazil (2015) Amani Institute is looking forward to launch in Bangalore, India later in 2017. As Nairobi plays the role of a hub office for the Africa region and Sao Paulo for Latin America, we envision that Bangalore will play a similar role for Asia.
Amani Institute is seeking a passionate, committed, and entrepreneurial changemaker to join our growing team and lead our work in India. The Country Manager will work closely and collaboratively on all fronts with the CEO of Amani Institute, who will also be based in India.
A. Training, Facilitation, and Coaching (~30% of time)
- Design and deliver/facilitate training to a wide range of audiences, both Indian and global, after being trained in the Amani Institute curriculum and approach to higher education. Participants in your classes could range in age from 20 to 60, with great diversity of cultural and professional backgrounds. Class sizes could range from 5 people to 40 people.
- Assist with or lead new educational programs in India for individuals or institutions, across the social, academia, and private sectors. All our programs focus on building skills for careers with a social impact.
- Coach individuals to overcome barriers and move forward in their desired career trajectory and achieve their goals
- Constantly review and improve the curricula (learning activities, teaching materials and worksheets) according to social sector employers’ needs, and Amani Institute’s values, learning model, and strategic direction. New ideas are welcomed at Amani Institute.
B. Country Leadership (~30% of time)
- Lead the process of registering Amani Institute in India, liaising with legal team and Amani Institute leadership
- Lead the process of setting up Amani Institute’s office in Bangalore, India
- Manage other members of the India team and work collaboratively with country leaders in Kenya and Brazil
- Manage the budget for the Social Innovation Management program, and grow into managing the budget for the India office
C. Program Management (~40% of time)
- Efficiently manage and monitor programs, in particular recruitment, communications, tracking of Fellows, participation and learning, field trips, specific events or projects, and program evaluation
- Meet with prospective Amani Fellows and answer their questions about the program in India
- Coordinate the Amani faculty and their courses in Kenya (such as quality checking their sessions, providing suggestions on methodology and content, etc)
- Secure and manage the apprenticeship (or internship) process of placing Amani Fellows in host organizations during the Social Innovation Management program
- Attend networking events in order to represent Amani Institute and build a range of different types of strategic partnerships with other organizations
- Work in a closely-knit, fast-growing, entrepreneurial, diverse, global team. As Amani Institute will be in a start-up mode in India, all members of the team are expected to do what it takes to complete projects and achieve goals, which often translates into long hours of intense work.
Professional Background and Skills
- Undergraduate degree (any field)
- Passion for making social impact
- At least 7-10 years of previous work experience, including some experience in the social sector and ideally also in the private sector
- Evidence of being a doer – high degree of performance and self-accountability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, with high degree of empathy
- International experience outside India, for work and/or study
- Ability to pay close attention to the details that make the difference between doing a good job and doing a great one
- Ability to not just multi-task, but even enjoy working on many different projects at once
- Proven ability to manage projects from beginning to end – from leading teams to project conception, implementation, and evaluating outcomes
- Experience with innovation and/or adult leadership development
- Experience with group facilitation; the more diverse the groups the better
- Proven ability to coach and mentor individuals from all walks of life towards achieving their professional goals, including those older and with more experience
- Proven ability to build professional relationships for networking and/or business development
- Comfort with communicating and collaborating virtually across global teams
(Although not required in order to apply, possessing any of these characteristics will be an advantage)
- Master’s degree (any field)
- IT skills: Good knowledge of MS Office (especially Word, Excel, and Powerpoint), virtual communication systems (Skype, Zoom, Whatsapp, etc), and common cloud software (Dropbox, CRM systems, Google Drive, etc)
You would be a good fit with our organizational culture if:
- You have a passion for helping individuals achieve their full potential
- You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is “your responsibility” or not
- You are curious and enthusiastic to keep learning new skills throughout your life
- You love working with people from very different backgrounds, as that can lead to new ideas, fun experiences, and opportunities for growth
- You are comfortable bringing your whole self to work
- The position is based in Bangalore, India and we are primarily looking for an Indian citizen or a foreign resident with the right to work in India
- At present this position does not come with responsibilities around financial management or business development
- Occasional weekend work is required, as some classes happen on Saturdays and Sundays
- Travel within India is necessary and international travel is likely
- Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience and skills, aligned with the broader social enterprise sector in India
- This is a full-time position, with a minimum expectation of 2 years with the initial contract (after an initial trial period), and great room for professional growth and development
Application deadline: June 4, 2017
Expected Start Date: Flexible, depending on candidate situation but no later than September 15, 2017
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis so please send your application as soon as possible!