March 1, 2017 at 5:30 pm #123523
LENGTH OF STAY
The Logan Nonfiction Program accepts fellows for two classes per year. The spring class runs from January to April, the fall class from October to December. Within these periods applicants can request a short residency (4-6 weeks) or a long residency (10-12 weeks). We make every attempt to honor applicants’ first choices but occasionally an applicant may be offered a residency of a different length or time.
Follow the steps below to apply for the Logan Nonfiction Program at the Carey Institute.
- Submit an Online Application—All applicants should submit an online application by clicking here. The application consists of a number of questions related to your work and project; a cover letter; a CV; previous work samples; a sample of the work you plan on pursuing in residency; and two letters of recommendation.
- Submit Two Letters of Recommendation—All applicants are required to provide two professional letters of recommendation. Letters should be sent directly from referees to email@example.com.
- Application Review—Applications are reviewed and evaluated by the selection committee against a number of pre-determined criteria to determine a shortlist of finalists.
- Advisory Board Approval—Finalists’ applications are presented to the Advisory Board for their review and approval. You can find out more about our Advisory Board by clicking here.
- Final Notification—Once a class has been approved by the Advisory Board, successful applicants will be notified in writing and provided with registration information. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified that they have been unsuccessful or that they should re-apply for a subsequent class.
KEY APPLICATION DATES FOR EACH CLASS
In extraordinary circumstances, we will consider applications after the dates below.
NOTIFICATION OF RESULTS
You will be advised if you are invited via email within two months after we receive your application. This will leave you two months to prepare to arrive. We may adjust your starting date depending on our capacity.
Documentarians, journalists and nonfiction writers working at the professional level in their fields are eligible to apply once each calendar year. Particular areas of emphasis relate to the most pressing issues of our day, including, but not limited to: war and conflict; social justice and human rights; science, health, agriculture, environment and technology; biographies, histories and government; education; journalism and the media; and, economics and business.
Applications for residency are judged on the quality of the applicant’s work and professional promise. The Carey Institute encourages applicants of all backgrounds to apply for admission, and does not discriminate in its programs and activities against anyone on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, disability, HIV status or veteran status.
FEES & FINANCIAL AID
There is no fee.
Small groups (2 to 3 individuals) of documentarians, journalists or nonfiction writers wishing to work collaboratively are encouraged to apply. Each member of the group will need to submit an individual application and select the “Collaborative Teams” option on the questionnaire.
The Carey Institute has a strong tradition of internationalism, and welcomes applicants from around the world. Professionals who work in languages other than English are welcome to apply if they can supply samples of work in translation as well as in the original. A working knowledge of English is necessary for international applicants. The Carey Institute does not provide an interpreter for residents who speak little or no English.
The Carey Institute’s estate is wheelchair accessible but it is important to note that the terrain is hilly and many of our buildings were built in the 1800s. However, the building that houses our residents and the restaurant are both accessible and do not have stairs. Handrails are in all resident bathrooms.
Email us at nonfiction(at)careyinstitute.org.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.