March 2, 2018 at 11:31 am #150241
Apply to the Innovating Justice Challenge 2018
Just by reaching this page, you’re already on your way to having your justice innovation supported, highlighted, and accelerated towards success.
Each year, hundreds of justice innovators from around the globe apply to the Innovating Justice Challenge to find support for their justice innovation. Find out more below on how our process works.
Opening of the call: 1 March 2018
Closing of the call: 31 May 2018 at 23h59 CET
Make sure you read and understand the information below first!
What we offer: Apply by 31 May 2018 to receive seed funding, training and acceleration support, access to an international expert network and potential further investment opportunities.
What is considered a justice innovation? This page might help.
The scope of the Innovating Justice Challenge 2018:
HiiL is looking for innovations that help people prevent or resolve their most pressing justice problems. We define pressing justice problems on the basis of research and data that demonstrate the legal needs of people. This means we search for innovations that create rights awareness, provide access to legal services or dispute resolution and improve efficiency and transparency in existing justice policies.
In 2018, on the basis of HiiL’s data, we focus on resolving pressing justice problems in the following 5 areas:
- Family Justice
- Land and Neighbour Disputes
- Crime and Law Enforcement
- Employment Justice
- Micro, Small and Medium sized Enterprises
We only accept a limited number of applications who addressing other pressing justice problems.
This is a global call, though we particularly encourage applications from Uganda, Kenya, Nigeria, Mali, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Ukraine, Tunisia, Lebanon, Jordan, Morocco, the United Arab Emirates and the Netherlands.
What do we look for?
- (New) Ventures with a strong potential of delivering concrete justice solutions for many people, including micro, small and medium-sized businesses.
- Innovative justice initiatives that are already making a difference and have the potential and ambition to scale internationally or to many more users.
- Unique initiatives that are solving the most pressing justice problems for people, based on evidence and data, in particular family, land, crime or employment issues.
- Ventures that are financially sustainable and have measurable impact.
- Innovative initiatives within existing justice systems or public institutions, spearheaded by driven intrapreneurs that want to see things work differently.
Criteria: who can apply?
- The founder and applicant should be 18 years of age or older.
- The venture must be committed to providing access to justice underpinned by evidence showing justice needs.
- The person(s) with whom we engage should be the founder or a co-founder of the organization and should be able to make key, high-level, and direction-shifting decisions (such as whether or not to take investments and who to partner with) on behalf of the entire organization.
- We can only accept innovations to be incorporated with a bank account in the name of the legal entity by the time they receive our grant funding.
HOW WE SELECT WINNING INNOVATIONS
- Scope (is it a justice innovation? is it solving pressing justice problem)
- Applications are due by the end of the day on May 31, 2018 (the form will close at 23:59 Amsterdam time)
- Several selection rounds, including local mentor and expert feedback, take place in June and July.
- Between 40-50 startups, selected as semi-finalists, will be invited to pitch at local Boostcamps. This year’s Boostcamps will take place in Johannesburg, Lagos, Nairobi, Kampala, Kyiv, and The Hague. In some cases, startups may pitch by Skype or be brought to the nearest Boostcamp. Additionally, these semi-finalists will be guided through a “market validation” process.
- Between 15-20 startups will be selected for Acceleration.
Think you have what it takes? Apply at this link. Start by filling in an e-mail and a password. Creating an account allows you to view, edit, change, and complete your application.
For more info click here
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.