Home › Forums › Scholarship, Fellowship Opportunities and Academic Programs › Call for Applications, International Development Research Awards 2019
August 3, 2018 at 11:05 am #155435
Call for Applications
>Agriculture and Food Security, Climate Change, Food, Environment, and Health, Employment and Growth, Foundations for Innovation, Governance and Justice, Maternal and Child Health, Networked Economies, Centre of Excellence for Civil Registration and Vital Statistics Systems, Livestock Vaccine Innovation Fund
DeadlineSeptember 5, 2018 by 4:00 PM (EDT)
DurationJanuary to December 2019 (12 months)
Region(s)Far East Asia, Middle East, North and Central America, North of Sahara, Oceania, South America, South Asia, South of Sahara, West Indies
BudgetSalary for one year in Canada: CA$40,800-47,231; Monthly salary in Kenya: KSh 148,556–KSh 234,268
This call is open to Canadians, permanent residents of Canada, and citizens of developing countries pursuing a master’s or a doctoral degree at a recognized university OR who have completed a master’s or a doctoral degree at a recognized university.
Please note the additional eligibility requirements outlined immediately below.
Who can apply
Positions are available at IDRC’s head office in Ottawa, Canada AND there is one position available at IDRC’s Regional Office for Sub-Saharan Africa, in Nairobi, Kenya. Eligibility criteria differ for each location.
For the eleven positions located at IDRC’s head office in Ottawa, this call is open to the following individuals:
- If you are a Canadian or permanent resident of Canada, you must be pursuing a master’s or a doctoral degree at a recognized university OR have completed (within the last three years) a master’s or doctoral degree at a recognized university.
- If you are a citizen of a developing country, you must be pursuing a master’s or a doctoral degree at a Canadian university OR you must have completed (within the last three years) a master’s or doctoral degree at a recognized university. In either case, prior to applying, you must already have a work permit valid to work full-time in Canada until December 31, 2019.
For the position located at IDRC’s Regional Office for Sub-Saharan Africa in Nairobi, Kenya, this call is open to:
- Citizens of Kenya pursuing a master’s or a doctoral degree at a recognized university OR who have completed (within the last three years) a master’s or doctoral degree at a recognized university.
Other eligibility requirements
- Your proposed research must focus on one or more developing countries.
- These awards may be part of an academic requirement.
- NB: Successful award recipients cannot receive any other Canadian government scholarship, award, subsidy, bursary, or honorarium, or hold any federal government contract in support of a research/work project for the duration of the award; this includes any other IDRC award and any award managed by another institution but supported in whole or in part by IDRC, such as the Queen Elizabeth Advanced Scholars program.
- In addition, each program has specific eligibility criteria that must be satisfied.
Research country exceptions
In principle, IDRC supports research in all developing countries. At this time, however, we do not offer awards for research that involves the following countries:
Burundi, Central African Republic, Chad, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Mali, North Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of), Somalia, South Sudan, Syria, Yemen, Southern and Eastern Europe, Central Asia, and South Caucasus.
Countries subject to approval
You may apply for research in the following countries and territories, but if you are recommended for an award, your application may be subject to a further stage of approval within IDRC:
Afghanistan, Congo (Democratic Republic of), Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Gabon, Gaza, Guinea-Bissau, Maldives, Micronesia, Monserrat, Myanmar, Sudan, Suriname, Venezuela, West Bank, Zimbabwe, some small island states, including Comoros, São Tomé and Principe, Saint Helena, Timor-Leste, and the Pacific Islands (Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis & Futuna).
Research award recipients will join IDRC for a one-year paid program to undertake research on the topic they have submitted, and will receive hands-on experience in research and program management and support, grant administration, and the creation, dissemination, and use of knowledge from an international perspective.
For payroll purposes, awardees are considered full-time employees of IDRC. Benefits include employer contributions to Employment Insurance, Employer Health Tax, the Canada Pension Plan, and paid vacation leave. Some travel and research expenses are also supported, up to a maximum of CA$15,000.
12 awards will be offered during this call. There is one call per program listed below. You may only choose ONE of the following:
- Advisory Committee on Research Ethics
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Centre of Excellence for Civil Registration and Vital Statistics Systems
- Climate Change
- Employment and Growth
- Food, Environment, and Health
- Foundations for Innovation
- Governance and Justice (in Kenya)
- Livestock Health
- Maternal and Child Health
- Networked Economies
- Policy and Evaluation
The following criteria will be used to evaluate applications:
- relevance of the proposal to IDRC’s mandate and thematic priorities
- relevance of the proposal to the chosen IDRC program’s specifications
- clarity and quality of the proposal
- clarity and appropriateness in addressing ethical considerations and gender sensitivity of the proposed research
- applicant’s capacity to conduct the proposed program of research, including academic training, local language capacity, and related experience
Program management and support component:
- applicant’s capacity to conduct program of work, including related employment experience
Before applying, please read the checklist of documents required for this call. .
We have important tips to share on preparing specific sections of your proposal (e.g. ethics and gender sensitivity). Please consult our frequently asked questions before contacting us at awards(at)idrc.ca
Meet some of our IDRC Research Awardees from 2014 to 2017.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.