EventsAdd your own event!
- This event has passed.
International Monitoring and evaluation symposium 16th to 18th October M
October 16, 2018 @ 8:00 am - October 19, 2018 @ 5:00 pm$350
RE: INTERNATIONAL MONITORING AND EVALUATION SYMPOSIUM 16TH TO 18TH OCTOBER 2018.
Venue: Hilton Hotel, Nairobi, KENYA.
Capacity Africa Institute is pleased to announce the International Monitoring and Evaluation Symposium to be held in Nairobi Kenya from 16th to 18th October 2018.
The theme for this symposium is: “ New developments and Challenges in Monitoring and Evaluation ”
The International Monitoring and Evaluation Symposium will serve as a forum for the sharing and cross-learning of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) practices between different stakeholders in order to strengthen the capacity of individuals and organizations to improve data quality, and to use high-quality data for efficient, evidence-based decision-making.
The Symposium will highlight developments, challenges, and contributions, best practices and lessons learned in the use of M&E data for program design and implementation. The use of M&E can play a significant role in strengthening national programmes, reduce costs, and provide information and evidence for policy and decision making by leveraging key decision makers to improve the availability and use of information.
There is a need therefore for local evaluators to connect, network and share professional experiences with other international partners to develop a strong global evaluation community. There is also a need to promote high quality intellectual, ethical and professional standards in monitoring and evaluation, an increase in the use of theory and practice, as well as the development and adoption of methods and approaches suitable for the African and global context. Thus, contributing to a growing body of knowledge around evaluation theory, design and methods, as well as developing the capacities of evaluators, M/E Plan designing and methods for monitoring, evaluating and conveying development impact.**Developing a substantial African evaluation community comprised of national networks working closely with interested regional and international partners is the key to eradicate Africa’s widespread poverty, social and political exclusion, as well as the marginalization of African people.
The objective of the three day symposium therefore is to:
- Understand the principles underlying the selection of an appropriate design for program evaluation and monitoring
- Understand how to design research tools, identify data sources and methods used to acquire information, to assess program impact
- Able to design a strategy to monitor a program and/or assess impact
- Critically analyze both the opportunities and the limitations that emerge when working with digital technology for program monitoring and evaluation.
- Understand why projects succeed or fail
- The challenges of project planning and project implementation that impact on monitoring and evaluation
- To encourage the development and documentation of high quality evaluation practice and theory
- Support the establishment and growth of international evaluation professional associations and special evaluation interest groups.
- Facilitating capacity building, networking and sharing of evaluation theories, techniques and tools among evaluators, policymakers, researchers and development specialists.
The International M&E Symposium will include keynote presentations, individual oral presentations and plenaries, multitrack panel discussions, and poster presentations. The symposium will also include technical workshops to build capacity in critical M&E skills, roundtable discussions on topics selected by conference attendees, and opportunities to share promising M&E methods, tools and products currently being used in different settings.
Capacity Africa Institute is an organization that was established in 1999 to promote quality capacity building among development professionals and communities in Africa. The organization currently runs training programmes in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Congo and South Sudan training over 4000 development workers in the last fourteen years. We have collaborated very closely with Action Aid Kenya, Unicef Kenya Country Office, UNDP Kenya, Unifem East Africa, Population Services International, World Health Organization, Ministry of Health, Federation of Women Lawyers-FIDA, Amref, National Council for Population and Development, Nation Media Group ,Shell Kenya and Shell International, Path, Techno serve, One Love One World, National Aids Control Council, Center for British Teachers, JRS Sudan, Christian Mission Aid, Sudanese Red Cross, Mercy Corps International, Tear Fund, Oxfam GB, Haki Kazi, ADRA South Sudan Sector Programme among others.
The Symposium Targets: civil society representatives, policy makers, senior civil servants, development planners NGO leadership, and representatives of international development organizations, evaluation practitioners, M/E Consultants and academics who make up our core monitoring and evaluation community.
Thematic areas for discussion include:
- Understanding and distinguishing between monitoring and evaluation
- Governance and accountability
- Selection of analytical tools, methodologies and approaches enabling measurement and attribution.
- Development of indicators to measure progress and identity gaps
- Logical framework approach (Log Frame) and results framework approach
- Qualitative and quantitative data collection methods
- Feeding monitoring and evaluation findings into decision-making
- Developing indicators to measure progress and identify gaps
- Budgeting for monitoring and evaluation
- Managing monitoring and evaluation processes
- Problem identification
- Anticipating and resolving problems
- Evaluation and good governance
- Participatory planning and evaluation
- Annual reviews and reports
- Ethics in monitoring and evaluation
Capacity Africa Institute therefore invites all M&E practitioners from the public, private, academic and development spheres to:
- Submit papers, roundtable discussion topics, poster and/or rapid presentation abstracts representing M&E systems, processes and practices within the broad theme of the symposium;
- Submit proposals for the symposium workshops on contemporary M&E paradigms, methods and tools,
- Register for the symposium to learn from international M&E experts, including development planners and strategic leaders from across sectors including leading academics, evaluators, commissioning agents and more.
Presenters of highly ranked abstracts will be invited to give individual plenary presentations. Others will be invited to present in a panel discussion while the remaining accepted abstracts will be presented as posters.
Accepted abstracts, complete papers and posters from the conference will be disseminated through the Capacity Africa website www.capacityafrica.com 3
The conference output will also be used as reference materials and cases for teaching M&E and other development programs offered by Capacity Africa Institute.
International Monitoring and Evaluation Symposium
DATES: 16th to 18th October 2018.
VENUE: Hilton Hotel, Nairobi
REGISTRATION FEES: USD 350 PER PERSON
Sessions will be facilitated by professionals with hands on skills and great wealth of experience in Monitoring and Evaluation.
Participants coming from outside Nairobi, Kenya are requested to organize their own accommodation and transport. We can however reserve accommodation space for you at the training venue and other neighboring hotels on request.
Kindly confirm your participation with:
International M&E Symposium Coordinator
Capacity Africa Institute
3rd Floor Muthaiga Shopping Centre, Limuru Road, Nairobi.