EventsAdd your own event!
- This event has passed.
ICT for Disaster Response Course
June 25 @ 9:00 am - June 29 @ 5:00 pm$1100
Venue: Indepth Research Services, Nairobi, Kenya
Event Date: 25th – 29th June 2018.
This five (5) days training course explores how new information-, communication- and mapping technologies can be practically used to respond to disasters, augment situational awareness, improve relief coordination and much more.
The digital revolution is changing disaster response. From the earthquake in Haiti to Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, the Ebola outbreak in West Africa and the recent earthquake in Nepal, a range of new tools can help national and international organizations respond faster and more effectively.
Some of these tools can help you complete your work faster and less mistakes, some enable you to summon remote support on the fly in the middle of a disaster. Yet other tools help you make sense of the vast amount of information that is available and that can threaten to overwhelm you.
This course looks at a variety of real world examples from organizations working in the field and analyzes some of the key challenges related to access, implementation, scale, and verification that these new technologies can present. The course is designed to assist professionals in developing concrete strategies and technological skills to work amid this rapidly evolving landscape.
After the course, participants will be able to:
- Critically analyze both the opportunities and the pitfalls that emerge when working with technology to respond to crises
- Connect relevant development and humanitarian approaches to the technological strategies and tools discussed in the course
- Manage specific software platforms and utilize various technological tools for responding to and managing crises
- Design dynamic and effective strategies for using technology platforms and tools to respond to challenges in the field
- Develop confidence and critical self-awareness in working with social media, maps, and mobile technologies
- Participants will have access to all course content for at least 4 months after course completion so the material can be completed and revisited later.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
- Introduction & Social Media for Crisis Response
- Mapping the Crisis – New Techniques for Disaster Response and Preparedness
- Mobile Response: How Mobile Technology is Changing Disaster Response
- Looking Ahead: Where New Technologies are Taking Us
How to participate
- Tailor make your course.
- Register as an individual.
- Register as a group.
- Become one of our partners.
- Purchase software’s
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
View related courses
- Grant Management and Fundraising Course
- Mainstreaming Disaster Risk Reduction into National Development Process Course
- Disaster Risk Reduction Course
- Collaborative Conflict Resolution Course
- Shelter & Settlement Planning Course
The most popular courses
- Resilience in Food Security Analysis Course
- Causes and Minimization of Post-Harvest Losses Course
- Public Health in WASH during Emergencies Course
- Research Design, Data Management, Analysis & Use Course
- Training course on Monitoring and Evaluation for Governance (Decentralization and Local Governance)
- Use of ICT Tools in Epidemiology Course
- GIS in Energy Course
- Strategic Financial Management Course
For further inquiries, please contact us on Tel: +254 715 077 817, +254 (020) 211 3814
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mob: +254 715 077 817
Tel: 020 211 3814
Payment should be transferred to IRES account through bank on or before C.O.B 18th June 2018.
Send proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org