EventsAdd your own event!
Horticultural Production and Marketing Course
December 18 @ 9:00 am - December 22 @ 5:00 pm$1100
Venue: Indepth Research Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
Event Date: 18th -22nd December 2017.
In most countries, marketing problems are currently regarded as beyond the scope of field-level agricultural extension workers who are the officers in direct contact with the farmers. Therefore, the farmer has to take on commercial and marketing skills. Marketing is the process by which the space between the producer and the consumer is bridged. The process obviously involves transport and techniques for minimizing crop losses. An effective distribution system will also require the establishment of rural businesses such as truck drivers and packaging manufacturers, contractors and wholesalers. The production/marketing chain is a two way process. Produce flows from the rural areas into the cities; money and market information should flow back. As tastes in the city market evolve, the rural community can use this market information to target its production accordingly. This course aims to enhance farmers’ ability in commercial production planning, management of vegetables, tropical fruits, flowers and ornamental plants and to focus on crops produced in order to make it available commercially, particularly with those which have high market potential in participants’ home countries.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is intended for various actors in the Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policy makers) working with communities, in governments, funding agencies, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Agriculture support activities and other Development programmes.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Have a clear definition of the concept of horticulture
- Have an outline of the key factors in horticultural production
- Gain knowledge on the salient features of floriculture, vegetable and fruit sectors
- Understand on the post-harvest handling of horticultural crops
- Gain knowledge on the techniques applied in management of pests in horticultural crops
- Gain knowledge about the horticultural market development
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
- Production Technology
- Vegetable and Flower Production
- Tropical Fruit Production
- Horticultural Marketing
How to participate
View related courses
- Food Security Information Systems and Networks Course
- Agriculture, Innovation and Technology Course
- Irrigation and Operational Maintenance Course
- Causes and Minimization of Post-Harvest Losses Course
- Resilient Livelihoods Course
The most popular courses
- Establishing and strengthening farmer organizations
- Introduction to Occupational Health and Safety
- Principles and Practice of Research Data Management and Collection
- Effective Project Proposal and Report Writing
For further inquiries, please contact us on Tel: +254 715 077 817, +254 (020) 211 3814, +254 731240802, +254 735331020.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mob: +254 715 077 817
Tel: 020 211 3814
Payment should be transferred to IRES account through bank on or before C.O.B 11th December 2017.
Send proof of payment to email@example.com.