EventsAdd your own event!
- This event has passed.
GIS and Remote Sensing for agricultural resource management Course
November 6 @ 8:00 am - November 10 @ 4:00 pm| $1100
Venue: Indepth Research Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
Event Date: 6th – 10th November 2017
For optimum utilization of available agricultural land resources on a sustainable basis, timely and reliable information regarding their nature, extent and spatial distribution along with their potential and limitations is very important.
The efficiency and accuracy of data are improved when remote sensing data products and GIS are used. Spatial tools such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) for storing and analyzing spatial data can help us make better decisions in agriculture, land development, environmental protection and restoration. Specifically this decision making tools can be used in the context of agriculture in assessment of crop area extent, management of water resources, identification of pest attacks and diseases, yield assessment studies, land suitability assessment for agriculture disaster management and precision agriculture.
Participants will apply their new skills to one of several case studies in topics on agriculture, pest management, crop monitoring, water resource management and risk assessment among others. This course will offer a mixture of lectures, demonstrations and hands-on exercises using open source GIS and RS software.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Agricultural experts, soil scientists, Animal Scientists, agronomist, entomologists, ranch managers, farm managers, environmentalist, farmers and students.
No prior knowledge of GIS is required. Participants will be working on their own laptop with Quantum GIS (QGIS).
- Understand the basic concepts of GIS and Remote Sensing
- Understand various integrations of GIS and RS Agriculture
- Understand how precision farming and how it’s applied in Agriculture
- Understand Digital Image Processing Techniques in Agriculture Resource Management
- Understand Precision farming using GIS and RS for Crop management
- Expose participants in GIS and RS applications in Water management in agriculture
- Understand GIS and RS applications in disease/pest management
- Understand participatory method in agriculture resource management in context of GIS and GIS
- Publish dynamic and interactive agricultural based map in the internet
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Introduction, key principles and concepts
- Introduction concepts of GIS and remote sensing in Agricultural Resource management
- Planning for a GIS system installation
- Introduction GIS data collection using GPS
- Gathering data using mobile phones using (ODK)
- Integrating GPS data into GIS
- GIS Data sources and types for agriculture
- Working with data from different sources
- Geo database creation and maintenance for agricultural resources
- Attributes manipulation in GIS
- Facilitated practical exercises in working with tabular data in Excel format
Digital Image Processing Techniques in Agriculture Resource Management
- Obtaining satellite imagery for agriculture resource management
- Satellite Image processing and calibration for agricultural resources
- Land use classification using supervised classification
- Land use classification using unsupervised classification
- Accuracy assessment and ground Truthing technique
Agricultural Resource planning and monitoring
- Agro-Ecological zone mapping
- Agricultural resource mapping and updating
- Mapping crop
- Mapping soil Variability
- Mapping condition that affects plant health, yield, or quality of a crop e.g. weed infestation
- Land suitability assessment for agriculture
GIS and RS in Soil management
- Characterizing soil spatial variability
- Site‐specific soil management: prescription maps
- Soil Mapping and Capability Assessment
- Mapping Soil Erosion Risk Using Rusle
Case study:GIS and Remote Sensing in Drought Monitoring
Precision farming using GIS and RS for Crop management
- Yield monitoring and mapping
- Grid sampling, management zones
- Crop health analysis using NDVI
- Remote sensing (RS) for precision agriculture
- Crop stress detection
- Crop modeling for yield estimation and production
GIS and RS Water management in agriculture
- Multi criteria analysis in determining potential ground water zones
- Mapping and monitoring irrigated land.
- Flood monitoring
- Hydrological modeling and its application in agriculture
- Statistical analysis procedures on historical series of rainfall data to produce agro climatic classification
- Land suitability assessment for agriculture
GIS AND RS Disease/pest management
- Using remote sensing and GIS to identify breeding areas
- Determining spatial patterns of the disease and pathway
- Crop damage assessment using change detection
- Determine the spatial extent of a disease
- Monitoring weather and ecological conditions favorable for crop pests and disease
Case study: Remote Sensing for grazing management
- Public participation in agricultural resource management
- Using Google earth in agricultural resource management
- Web based Publishing for interactive and dynamic agricultural maps
How to participate
- Tailors make your course.
- Register individual.
- Register as a group
- Become one of our partners.
- Purchase software’s
- Frequently asked Questions (FAQ’s)
View related courses
- GIS and Remote Sensing For Climate Change Impact Analysis and Adaptation Course
- GIS Analysis for Health Sector Programmes Course
- GIS and Remote Sensing for agricultural resource management Course
- GIS and remote sensing in conservancy and wildlife management Course
The most popular courses
- Establishing and strengthening farmer organizations Course
- Introduction to Occupational Health and Safety Course
- Principles and Practice of Research Data Management and Collection Course
- Knowledge Management Course
For further inquiries, please contact us on Tel: +254 715 077 817, +254 (020) 211 3814, +254 731240802, +254 735331020.