EventsAdd your own event!
- This event has passed.
GIS Analysis for Health Sector Programmes Course
February 12 @ 9:00 am - February 16 @ 5:00 pm$1100
Venue: Indepth Research Services, Naivasha, Kenya
Event Date: 12th – 16th February 2018.
The physical and social environment that surrounds us plays an important part in our health and wellbeing. The geography concept of ‘place’ thus cannot be ignored in public health. Whether investigating the level of environmental pollution, access to recreation or services, or the patterns or spread of disease, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) provide the standard platform for exploring spatial attributes and relationships between our environment and health.
This course offers an introduction to GIS and how it is used in public health and epidemiological research. It will introduce students to the basics including: working with and integrating spatial and non-spatial data; geographic scale and spatial precision; decoding; visualization; thematic mapping; and understanding spatial relationships. Specific skills and tools will be introduced in relation to assessing exposure to a range of environmental risks, and a particular focus will be given to methods for spatial linkage of exposure, contextual and confounder information for epidemiological or health risk assessment studies
Participants will apply their new skills to one of several case studies in topics on epidemiology, risk assessment or infectious disease. The course will offer a mixture of lectures, demonstrations and hands-on exercises in Quantum GIS (QGIS).
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Public health practitioners, epidemiologists, exposure scientists, quantitative health geographers, risk assessors, students.
By the end of this course, the learner will – within a public health context – be able to:
- Understand the basics of spatial data and its role in decision making
- Undertake spatial analysis of environment and health data
- Explain why geographic data and tools are important for health decision makers
- Understand geography as a unifying framework and GIS as a tool to collect, link, analyze, visualize, manage, and share data and information
- Distinguish between the different tools used to collect, analyze, and manipulate geographic data
- Communicate with technical specialists to develop program-specific geographic products Work with and integrate spatial and non-spatial data
- Integrate data of different geographic scales and spatial precision
- Visualize spatial data
- Investigate spatial patterns of health risks and disease rates
- Produce thematic maps and reports
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
- Geographic approaches to global health
- Introducing GIS and health applications
- Spatial data collection techniques for health applications
- Visualizing health data
- Designing maps for a health study
- Geocoding tabular data
- GIS analysis and mapping techniques
- Online Publishing of maps and GIS outputs
- Case study: Studying disease outbreaks
How to participate
- Tailor Make A Course
- Register as an Individual
- Register as a Group
- Become One of Our Partners.
- Purchase Software
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
View related courses
- Use of GIS and Remote Sensing in Disaster Risk Management Course
- GIS and Statistical Analysis for WASH Programmes Course
- GIS and Remote Sensing For Climate Change Impact Analysis and Adaptation Course
- GIS and Remote Sensing for sustainable forest monitoring and management Course
- GIS and Remote Sensing in Land Cover, Land Change Analysis Course
- Web-based GIS and Mapping Course
- GIS for Economics and business Course
The most popular courses
- Food Security Analysis Course
- Procurement and Supply Chain Management Course
- ICT for Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Course
- Diseases Surveillance and Reporting Course
- International Training on Monitoring and Evaluation for Development Results
- Irrigation and Operational Maintenance Course
- Data Management, Analysis, and Graphics using Stata Course
For further inquiries, please contact us on Tel: +254 715 077 817, +254 (020) 211 3814 Email email@example.com
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mob: +254 715 077 817
Tel: 020 211 3814
Payment should be transferred to IRES account through bank on or before C.O.B 5th February 2018.
Send proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org