EventsAdd your own event!
- This event has passed.
Disaster Risk Reduction Course
June 25 @ 9:00 am - June 29 @ 5:00 pm$1100
Venue: Indepth Research Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
Event Date: 25th – 29th June 2018
Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) skills are fundamental to the process of increasing awareness on natural hazards and disaster risk reduction to key stakeholders with knowledge on disaster management to empower the actors to support their organizations in developing disaster resilient programs and projects.
In order to build the capacity of Development professionals who are actively engaged in the Development and Emergency response activities in governmental and non-governmental organizations, this one week course will provide hands-on training in DRR and the application of Knowledge to decision making in DRR planning and Management.
The workshop offers intensive training that will cover the fundamental concepts and tools for DRR. People-centered early warning systems empower communities to prepare for and confront the power of natural hazards and measurement of the systems in terms of lives saved and reduction in losses, which is directly related to the execution of an anticipated response by the people and institutions once a warning is issued.
This training will also address traditional views on early warning systems, and what it takes to transform them into efficient, people-centred systems. The workshop also presents a practical guide for using a geographic information system (GIS) to integrate, visualize, and analyze geographically-referenced data extracted from key data sets to facilitate DRR.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is intended for audiences working in governments, funding agencies, and research and non-government organizations for Emergency response and other Development programmes.
After the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand disaster risk reduction concepts and DRR conceptual frameworks and institutional mechanisms
- Identify and understand the causes and impacts of various hazards locally, Regionally and globally
- Identify disaster risk reduction strategies and opportunities in programming
- Monitor programme inputs, processes and results required for management of DRR.
- Understand concepts, methods, and tools for monitoring of DRR in Humanitarian response, emergency response and development programs
- Identify ways to overcome barriers to conducting effective Disaster Risk monitoring.
- Conduct disaster Risk monitoring using appropriate methods and tools.
- Get basic knowledge of analyzing qualitative data for humanitarian, emergency and development sector programmes related to DRR
- Use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and GPS to gather data, collaborate and share information.
- Communicate findings to stimulate learning and reflection.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
- Understanding disaster risk reduction.
- Insights into global and regional perspectives of hazards and disaster risk reduction
- The process of Identifying, assessing and monitoring disaster risks and enhancing early warning
- Disaster Preparedness, Early Warning and mitigation
- Community participation
- Code of conduct in disaster response
- Use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and GPS to gather data, collaborate and share information on DRR
How to participate
- Tailor make your course
- Register as an individual.
- Register as a group.
- Become one of our partners.
- Purchase software’s
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
View related courses
- Shelter & Settlement Planning Course
- Collaborative Conflict Resolution Course
- ICT for Disaster Response Course
- Mainstreaming Disaster Risk Reduction into National Development Process Course
- Crisis Preparation and Management Course
- Grant Management and Fundraising Course
The most popular courses
- Food Security Policies Formulation and Implementation Course
- Irrigation and Operational Maintenance Course
- Introduction to Occupational Health and Safety Course
- Data Processing and Management using CSPro Course
- International Training on Monitoring and Evaluation for Development Results Course
- Advanced Excel Course
- GIS and Remote Sensing, Analysis, Mapping and Visualization with Quantum GIS Course
- Report Writing Skills Course
For further inquiries, please contact us on Tel: +254 715 077 817, +254 (020) 211 3814
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mob: +254 715 077 817
Tel: 020 211 3814
Payment should be transferred to IRES account through bank on or before C.O.B. 18th June 2018.
Send proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org