EventsAdd your own event!
- This event has passed.
Disaster Risk Reduction Course
February 5 @ 9:00 am - February 9 @ 5:00 pm$1100
Venue: Indepth Research Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
Event Date: 05th – 09th February 2018
Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) skills are fundamental to the process of increasing awareness on natural hazards and disaster risk reduction to key stakeholders with knowledge on disaster management to empower the actors to support their organizations in developing disaster resilient programs and projects.
In order to build the capacity of Development professionals who are actively engaged in the Development and Emergency response activities in governmental and non-governmental organizations, this one week course will provide hands-on training in DRR and the application of Knowledge to decision making in DRR planning and Management.
The workshop offers intensive training that will cover the fundamental concepts and tools for DRR. People-centered early warning systems empower communities to prepare for and confront the power of natural hazards and measurement of the systems in terms of lives saved and reduction in losses, which is directly related to the execution of an anticipated response by the people and institutions once a warning is issued.
This training will also address traditional views on early warning systems, and what it takes to transform them into efficient, people-centred systems. The workshop also presents a practical guide for using a geographic information system (GIS) to integrate, visualize, and analyze geographically-referenced data extracted from key data sets to facilitate DRR.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is intended for audiences working in governments, funding agencies, and research and non-government organizations for Emergency response and other Development programmes.
After the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand disaster risk reduction concepts and DRR conceptual frameworks and institutional mechanisms
- Identify and understand the causes and impacts of various hazards locally, Regionally and globally
- Identify disaster risk reduction strategies and opportunities in programming
- Monitor programme inputs, processes and results required for management of DRR.
- Understand concepts, methods, and tools for monitoring of DRR in Humanitarian response, emergency response and development programs
- Identify ways to overcome barriers to conducting effective Disaster Risk monitoring.
- Conduct disaster Risk monitoring using appropriate methods and tools.
- Get basic knowledge of analyzing qualitative data for humanitarian, emergency and development sector programmes related to DRR
- Use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and GPS to gather data, collaborate and share information.
- Communicate findings to stimulate learning and reflection.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
- Understanding disaster risk reduction.
- Insights into global and regional perspectives of hazards and disaster risk reduction
- The process of Identifying, assessing and monitoring disaster risks and enhancing early warning
- Disaster Preparedness, Early Warning and mitigation
- Community participation
- Code of conduct in disaster response
- Use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and GPS to gather data, collaborate and share information on DRR
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request to a minimum of 4 participants. You can have it delivered in our IRES Training Centre or at a convenient location.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Tailor Made Training
- Register as an Individual
- Register as a Group
- Become one of Our Partners
- Purchase Software
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
View related courses
- Social Audit Course
- Trauma Support and Counselling Course
- Contingency Planning Course
- Early Warning Systems Course
- Crisis Preparation and Management Course
The most popular courses
- Nutrition and Food Safety Course
- Data Management & Analyses for Surveys using Stata Course
- Result Based Monitoring and Evaluation Course
- Use of ICT Tools in Epidemiology Course
- Disaster Risk Reduction Course
- GIS and Remote Sensing for agricultural resource management Course
- Strategic Financial Management Course
For further inquiries, please contact us on Tel: +254 715 077 817, +254 (020) 211 3814, +254 731240802, +254 735331020.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Email: email@example.com. Mob: +254 715 077 817 Tel: 020 211 3814
Payment should be transferred to IRES account through bank on or before C.O.B 29th January 2018.
Send proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org.