EventsAdd your own event!
- This event has passed.
Community Day 2019: Cultivating a Justice-Oriented Community
February 15 @ 8:30 am - 3:30 pm$50
We invite you to join us for a taste of the Summer Peacebuilding Institute (SPI) at our annual Community Day on February 15, 2019, on campus at EMU in Harrisonburg, Virginia. This is a time for you to learn more about the Summer Peacebuilding Institute, meet others in our community, and gain new tools and skills to help you personally and professionally.
Space is still available, but filling up fast. Click here to register.
The day will include local community speakers, practical training workshops, and a catered lunch and morning coffee time to network with local business and community leaders.
Enhance your facilitation, peacebuilding, and organizational skills with workshops on:
- Circle Processes in Schools
- Transformational Leadership for Organizational Change
- Local Responses to Violent Extremism
- Trustbuilding in Organizations and Communities
- Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resiliency (STAR)
- Faciliated Processes that Work
- Dr. Kathy Evans will discuss how what happens in our schools affects all of us in society now and in the future and how all of us can support the work of restorative justice in educational contexts.
- Soula Pefkaros (CJP MA 2010) will share her experiences working at the intersection of food justice and mass incarceration as well as helping to start and run Gray Jay Provisions, a Harrisonburg sandwich shop and market.
Registration fee is $50 and includes:
- Two 90-minute workshop sessions
- Morning coffee and pastries
- Lunch from Gray Jay Provisions, a locally owned business
- Waiver for the $50 Summer Peacebuilding Institute or STAR application fee
- Little Book of Justice and Peacebuilding (several to choose from)
Register for Community Day by clicking here (Space is limited, so register early)
Click here for a short video with participant’s thoughts about prior Community Days.
Check our website for up-to-date information on session details!
Click here for a short video describing “the magic of SPI” that keeps people returning for more training.
To register for courses in May and June at the Summer Peacebuilding Institute, click here.