EventsAdd your own event!
- This event has passed.
7th Annual International Conference on Transgenerational Trauma
October 18, 2018 - October 20, 2018
A multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural professional conference addressing communal and transgenerational trauma. The TT Conference brings together practitioners, theorists, researchers, trainees, and key stakeholders to engage in:
- A Sharing of Skills:
Training in proven, practical skills and applications in current, real-world situations.
- A Search for New Models and Methodologies:
Developing new culturally appropriate, practical models and methods at the large scale, societal level for healing communal trauma and preventing it’s transfer into future generations.
- A Focused Dialogue and Deliberation:
Defining and addressing the multidimensional dynamics of inherited, unresolved communal trauma from one generation to the next, including historical understandings, development and perpetuation of communal victim identities and belief systems, effects on exclusive cultural membership and rites of belonging, war and violence, epigenetics, and implications for present and future relations within and between communities.
Transgenerational Trauma is seen as an underlying and complex global syndrome that divides, polarizes, and perpetuates enemy images, has been a central basis for past conflict and wars, and is a potent fuel for the eruption of violence in the present and future. Understanding it’s dynamics and implications, and developing ways to effectively prevent and treat it, are essential to healing and reconciliation within and between communities, establishing compassionate local and global relations, and achieving sustainable peace.
FORMAT and CONTENT:
* Topical Round tables; * Break-out Sessions of Skills Workshops, Practical Presentations, Research, and Theory; * Facilitated Dialogue & Action Planning Sessions; * Live 2-Way Global Links with Key Stakeholders; * All-conference Experiences; * Rich Networking & Cooperation on Applications * Multi-disciplinary, Multi-cultural Learning Community
All who are drawn to the focus and purpose of the TT Conference are welcome.
Outcome examples of these annual conferences through Common Bond Institute (CBI) include:
- Disaster health care field clinics,
- Community-based psycho-social service projects,
- Communal resilience building programs,
- Education and Economic empowerment projects
- Public mental health education programs to raise awareness and understanding of trauma issues, and provide self-help skills and information on available local resources.
C. Local capacity building psychosocial skills training in trauma healing skills and supervised field experience – ranging from coping skills, emotional support, and crisis intervention, to advanced therapy skills – to assist refugees and other at-risk populations:
- Community-based training to students, NGO staff, aid workers, and volunteers.
- Certified Diploma in Clinical Social Work: a 1 year certified practical training program, in partnership with Yarmouk University, Queen Rania Center, and Michigan State University Dept. of Psychiatry.
- Psychosocial Specialty Training for Medical Practitioners: an unprecedented practical training program provided to Jordanian medical schools, in partnership with Jordanian University of Science and Technology, Yarmouk University, and Michigan State University Dept. of Psychiatry.
- Psychosocial Training For Clergy and Religious Teachers: an Inter-religious training program conducted in partnership with Michigan State University Dept. of Psychiatry.
- (Under development): Practical BA and MA in Community Mental Health, in partnership with Michigan State University and local Jordanian universities.
- Journal of Communal and Transgenerational Trauma
- Developing a Global Research Network to study communal & transgenerational trauma
Common Bond Institute
Michigan State University
International Humanistic Psychology Association,
Queen Rania Center for Jordanian Studies and Community Service
Yarmouk University (YU)
International Federation of Medical Student Associations-Jordan,
An international list of over 100 cooperating organizations and universities
Official Partner and Event of:
Charter For Compassion –and- Parliament of World’s Religions
DETAILS on Proposals, Program, Registration, Accommodations, & Travel at: