Kristine Sloan on Why I Doesn’t Believe in 5 Year Plans
“Everyone can participate in cultivating the good in our world. This fact is both terrifyingly large and absolutely actionable – and Kristine loves a good action item. Kristine is the Interim CEO of StartingBloc, an organization and global Fellowship community that believes that the world needs better leadership”. Learn in Episode 7 of the Season 2 of The Social Change Career Podcast how to make the best bio in the world as well as Kristine’s experience with International Development in Africa and her leadership at StartingBloc. Episode 7 of Season 2 is brought to you by The Rotary Peace Fellowship.
In this episode we discuss:
- Kristine’s large and crazy family
- She had 5 people she considered to her parents (4 out of 5 are entrepreneurs)
- Early on she learned that there is no traditional career path
- On her two undergraduate degrees in Economics and International Affairs
- How she designed the Masters degree and how this degree serves her now
- On when is a good time to go to Grad school and why she took a year between undergraduate and Masters
- How Kristine worked her way through her undergrad and Masters
- On Kristine’s plan to getting into the job market post Masters
- How she paid for her field work for her Master’s thesis and resulted co-founding a company in Ghana
- How she kept working on campus after she graduated from her Masters
- In early 2014 Ebola hit Africa and the company had to shut-down operations
- How Kristine found another job in East Africa for All Across Africa Kazi Goods in Burundi and she was mandatory evacuation
- On her painful transition out of International Development
- How Kristine took 3 months off, drove an old van around the American West to think of next steps
- On embracing pain, changes in professional identities and making it through the transition
- How she identify the problem for her: lack of leadership and that’s how she got to Startingbloc
- How she got the job at Startingbloc as interim director
- Kristine’s take on a five year plan and why she doesn’t believe in them
- She applied from her van, drove to the interview, got the job at Startingbloc and left her 3 month solo trip
- After 2.5 years working for Startingbloc and how she loves leadership and the mission
- On working for someone as opposed as creating your own organization
- Kristine’s take on social entrepreneurship
- Kristine’s best (not) career advice she has received
- Kristine’s take on failure
- 3 things folks need to do to pursue a career on impact according to Kristine
- Where the van is right now
Are you ready for the future of work? Please Join PCDN’s 2018 Career Series to learn about the future of work and how to best prepare you.
Need career advice? Need it now? Join PCDN Career Helping Line. Go ask your questions, help answer others and participate in fruitful discussion to advance your social change career.
Subscribe to our free Daily Newsletter
Almost 19 k individuals and organizations already receive this amazing resource to keep them up to date and ready to put their passion into action.